Author Topic: Federal Reserve is technically bankrupt…  (Read 272 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Federal Reserve is technically bankrupt…
« on: May 09, 2023, 01:17:22 pm »
Mises Institute by Thorsten Polleit 5/8/2023

The Fed Is Overindebted, Isn’t It?

Behind closed doors, the report is already making the rounds in expert circles: if you follow the rules of sound commercial accounting, the United States Federal Reserve (Fed) has lost its equity and is, as common language would have it, bankrupt. What happened?

During spring 2020 (i.e., in a period of extremely low interest rates), the Fed purchased large amounts of government bonds and mortgage bonds to support the economy and financial markets during the covid crisis.

The Fed paid for the purchases by issuing vast amounts of new central bank money. This has created an enormous “money surplus” in the US interbank market, where banks lend money to one another. It is exactly in this market where the interest rates for all other credit markets are determined.

However, the excess money supply now exerts strong downward pressure on the interbank interest rates. Since this is not desirable from a monetary policy point of view—after all, the Fed is raising the key interest rate with the intention of making interbank credit more expensive, slowing down economic growth, and lowering inflation—the Fed’s Open Market Committee has decided to pay interest on the excess balances that the banks hold at the Fed.

This interest rate is currently 5.15 percent. This is close to the Fed’s official key interest rate, which is currently between 5.00 and 5.25 percent. In doing so, the Fed has set an interest rate limit in the interbank money market: no bank can lend its excess money supply for less than 5.15 percent if it gets this rate from the Fed.

More: https://mises.org/wire/fed-overindebted-isnt-it

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Federal Reserve is technically bankrupt…
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 01:39:23 pm »
Yeah, I'll throw all the analogies of "painting in a corner" and "kicking the can down the road".  But this is just another graphic, that based on inherent liquidity, the Fed has set our self up for hyperinflation or an equity market blood letting unseen in almost a 100 years..... Just to cover the short term debt that has incurred.   I lately have thought there might be some BRICS like external factoring, but it looks like this crap may end up being self inflicted.

My guess?

Pooofy Powell tries to strong arm the short term treasuries and in that turn grabs the equity markets by the "short" hairs.   At least so far, I don't think many outside the inner sanctum of economic dome has wind of this.  If we start seeing some market gyrations, this might end up being one of the root causes.

As far as bankrupt?   The ultimate fiscal conservative that I am, beleived that happened soon after getting off the Gold Standard in 1971, and the amount of money being printed exceeded the silver/gold assets held by our government.   And honestly, I am pretty surprised we survived 50 years on the slippery Fiat Train.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 01:49:17 pm »
Yeah, I'll throw all the analogies of "painting in a corner" and "kicking the can down the road".  But this is just another graphic, that based on inherent liquidity, the Fed has set our self up for hyperinflation or an equity market blood letting unseen in almost a 100 years..... Just to cover the short term debt that has incurred.   I lately have thought there might be some BRICS like external factoring, but it looks like this crap may end up being self inflicted.

My guess?

Pooofy Powell tries to strong arm the short term treasuries and in that turn grabs the equity markets by the "short" hairs.   At least so far, I don't think many outside the inner sanctum of economic dome has wind of this.  If we start seeing some market gyrations, this might end up being one of the root causes.

As far as bankrupt?   The ultimate fiscal conservative that I am, beleived that happened soon after getting off the Gold Standard in 1971, and the amount of money being printed exceeded the silver/gold assets held by our government.   And honestly, I am pretty surprised we survived 50 years on the slippery Fiat Train.

Full faith and credit! Really??? I have none remaining. Haven't had for quite some time now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 01:52:50 pm »
The 2 year Treasury Yield is higher than that of the 30 year Treasury.

With mark-to-market asset accounting at bank, the 30 Year Treasury Bond is now scene as a toxic balance sheet asset by bank analysts.

Powell is setting us up for another 2008 Financial Collapse of worse.  In 2008, 30 year Treasury Bonds were cosidered to be a safe balance sheet asset; in 2023, they are toxic.

We could be looking at return OF principal becoming more critical than return ON principal.

Binance (crypto exchange) put a stop on cash withdrawals because it did not have sufficient on-hand funds to exchange BitCoin for cash.  That's why the value of BitCoin has been dropping.

The damn Fed rose rates too fast, too quickly.  They would have been better off raising rates .0125% a quarter than what they've done.

Markets need time to adjust and adapt; especially banks subject to mark-to-market asset valuations.

More banks will become technically "insolvent" as asset values decrease in value - a deflationary death spiral.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 01:55:34 pm »
Full faith and credit! Really??? I have none remaining. Haven't had for quite some time now.

Very true.  I remember an article a decade or so, that the 150% Debt to GDP ratio (that I use so often here) is one of the most truest, and accurate barometers of us hitting the tipping points, that we have offically hit the point of insolvency.

And honestly, many in this country make BRICS a booogey man as far as being mean to us, in potentially decoupling from the $USD.  Honesty, do you blame them?  This is all on our irresponsible government of the past 50 years, and their drunken spending.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.