Author Topic: DeSantis says Trump deploying ‘Democrat attacks’ on Social Security, Medicare  (Read 4967 times)

Offline libertybele

Didn't quite know where to post this as DeSantis hasn't announced he's running yet.

DeSantis says Trump deploying ‘Democrat attacks’ on Social Security, Medicare

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) accused former President Trump of deploying “Democrat attacks” against him over his past support for changes to entitlement programs as the governor considers joining Trump in the 2024 primary.

“Those are Democrat attacks, I don’t think anyone really buys that,” DeSantis said Friday in an interview with Newsmax. “Donald Trump himself wrote a book where he was talking about the need to increase the age of eligibility for Social Security to 70.”

Trump’s campaign has dinged DeSantis for supporting a GOP budget proposal while he was in Congress that would have raised the retirement age to 70 to receive Social Security benefits. As the debate over the future of entitlement programs including Social Security and Medicare has reignited with the fight over the debt ceiling in Washington, Trump has said that Republicans should not touch the programs.

A federal report this year showed the trust funds that back Social Security will be depleted by 2034, implementing an automatic reduction in the level of benefits that are paid out.

DeSantis said in the interview that Republicans needed to be able to discuss changes to the programs, but he blasted Trump for resorting to “Democrat tactics.”

“Clearly, nobody has ever proposed to do anything to affect the current senior citizens,” he said.

A pro-DeSantis super PAC last month launched a TV ad defending him on Social Security and going after Trump for his attacks. The interview from DeSantis echoed some of the same framing from the ad......................

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3994596-desantis-says-trump-deploying-democrat-attacks-on-social-security-medicare/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Well, he is.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline libertybele

I'm beginning to think should DeSantis run and actually get a chance to debate Trump, he'd win overwhelmingly.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

I'm beginning to think should DeSantis run and actually get a chance to debate Trump, he'd win overwhelmingly.

:thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

:thumbsup:

It would be quite a debate; both running on their records.  However, I think DeSantis would be able to bring out the bully in Trump and get him to run his mouth and it would turn off conservatives and possibly independents.

Offline LMAO

Changes are coming to Social Security and Medicare whether  Trump and his Democrat buddies like it or not

You can’t defeat the law of economics or mathematics. I can very much see where the age of eligibility is raised. I can also see where, maybe to some small degree, some privatization

But I do agree that current retirees should not be affected. But we need changed in these programs for the future.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline kevindavis007

Changes are coming to Social Security and Medicare whether  Trump and his Democrat buddies like it or not

You can’t defeat the law of economics or mathematics. I can very much see where the age of eligibility is raised. I can also see where, maybe to some small degree, some privatization

But I do agree that current retirees should not be affected. But we need changed in these programs for the future.

A President (Guess Who) tried to do it but got raked over the coals for coming up with that proposal.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline roamer_1

It absolutely needs to get out of federal hands and be returned to the states.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
It absolutely needs to get out of federal hands and be returned to the states.

Exactly.  That's what I thought was so brilliant about Ryan's plan to kill Obamacare, even though some conservatives grumbled because it wasn't a "full repeal".  He didn't have the votes for a full repeal, but he zeroed in on the federal entitlement as the key element.  His plan was to eliminate the entitlement aspect of it, and turn all funding responsibility back over to the states.  There would then be federal subsidies that would phase out in a few years.  Great way to kill it while giving nervous RINOs political cover for their vote.

Turning programs over to the states is the best way out of this mess because unlike the federal government, they cannot deficit spend for years on end.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
LMAO wrote:
"You can’t defeat the law of economics or mathematics. I can very much see where the age of eligibility is raised. I can also see where, maybe to some small degree, some privatization
But I do agree that current retirees should not be affected. But we need changed in these programs for the future."

So... you only want to see today's young-uns workin' til they're 70, and not yourself?

That plane is gettin' as far into the air as did Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose.

Offline LMAO

LMAO wrote:
"You can’t defeat the law of economics or mathematics. I can very much see where the age of eligibility is raised. I can also see where, maybe to some small degree, some privatization
But I do agree that current retirees should not be affected. But we need changed in these programs for the future."

So... you only want to see today's young-uns workin' til they're 70, and not yourself?

That plane is gettin' as far into the air as did Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose.

Actually, I am still working. Probably for a few more years. I would expect any changes to Social Security to affect me.

The average lifespan in this country is somewhere in the late 70s. Is it sustainable to have people that are in their 90s on Social Security while their kids also may be old enough to qualify?

The reality is that Social Security and Medicare are simply not sustainable in their present form. Ignoring the issue isn’t an option.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 10:32:40 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

It would be quite a debate; both running on their records.  However, I think DeSantis would be able to bring out the bully in Trump and get him to run his mouth and it would turn off conservatives and possibly independents.

Don't bet the farm on this  :laugh:

Offline libertybele

Don't bet the farm on this  :laugh:

I know Trump already said he wasn't going to debate.

I know Trump already said he wasn't going to debate.

No, he did not.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I could see Trump "beating" DeSantis in a debate.  Not in the sense of who makes the best arguments, but in terms of perceptions.  The reality is that Trump is a more charismatic speaker than is DeSantis, and that's enough for a lot of people.

Offline libertybele

In a round about way, yes he did.

No, he did not.  If you know anything --- anything at all ---  about Donald Trump, you'd know he doesn't do "round about".

As with all things, Trump is negotiating.

johnny maga
@_johnnymaga

Trump is leading the GOP field by 41 points and he’s beating Biden handily in a rematch

They’re trying to put him in federal prison while a million man invasion in happening in Texas

Anybody who’s still pushing for a divisive primary does not have our best interest in mind

11:19 AM · May 9, 2023

Offline libertybele

No, he did not.  If you know anything --- anything at all ---  about Donald Trump, you'd know he doesn't do "round about".

No he just does backpedaling and I can't count the times that people interpret what he meant to say.

Negotiate a debate against another Republican?  Ok. Good to know.

Offline libertybele

johnny maga
@_johnnymaga

Trump is leading the GOP field by 41 points and he’s beating Biden handily in a rematch

They’re trying to put him in federal prison while a million man invasion in happening in Texas

Anybody who’s still pushing for a divisive primary does not have our best interest in mind

11:19 AM · May 9, 2023

Election integrity is everything regardless of how "handily" Trump is beating Biden!

Offline corbe

So, he skipped the second GOP debate because of 'unsanitary conditions', Blood Everywhere?  @Right_in_Virginia
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly.  That's what I thought was so brilliant about Ryan's plan to kill Obamacare, even though some conservatives grumbled because it wasn't a "full repeal".  He didn't have the votes for a full repeal, but he zeroed in on the federal entitlement as the key element.  His plan was to eliminate the entitlement aspect of it, and turn all funding responsibility back over to the states.  There would then be federal subsidies that would phase out in a few years.  Great way to kill it while giving nervous RINOs political cover for their vote.

Turning programs over to the states is the best way out of this mess because unlike the federal government, they cannot deficit spend for years on end.
Dunno...California has been doing a bang-up job.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

So, he skipped the second GOP debate because of 'unsanitary conditions', Blood Everywhere?  @Right_in_Virginia

Never said Trump wouldn't do it @corbe   He's not near a decision.

Do at least try and pull yourself out of 2016 ----- just once.   :laugh:

Election integrity is everything regardless of how "handily" Trump is beating Biden!

Divert, divert, divert from the message in the tweet.  I guess it's the best you have.  :shrug: