Author Topic: Open Letter to Governor of California: Reparations are illegal  (Read 263 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.orlytaitzesq.com/open-letter-to-governor-of-california-reparations-are-illegal/

OPEN LETTER TO GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA

GAVIN NEWSOM

Re: lack of legality of proposed reparations to black residents of California

Dear Governor Newsom,

It was reported yesterday that a slave reparations panel is recommending a $1.2 million to be given to every black resident of the state of California and down payment of some estimated  $100,000 to be given immediately. (Exhibit 1)

As a California licensed attorney and the President of the Defend Our Freedoms foundation I would like to warn you that there is no legal basis for such reparations and should you sign off on such reparations, multimillion legal challenges will likely be filed and granted by the courts, not mentioning enormous burden of estimated $800 billion, nearly 3 times the state budget, that these reparations will create. I would like to remind you that the state of California cannot print money as the federal government does, and this will lead to the bankruptcy of the state.

Firstly, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that there is no law in the California constitution that allows reparations. All of the expenditures of the state are previously approved by the voters. The state is allowed to spend moneys for the general welfare, such as providing roads and bridges, building water reservoirs in the state that is lacking water and so on. If the California legislature and you as a governor want to pay reparations, this has to be put to a vote as a ballot measure, to be approved by the voters.
    The state of California was never a slave owning state and as such there is no legal basis to requiring the citizens of the state of California to pay for the slavery that never happened in California.
    There isn’t one single person alive today in the state of California who was a slave.
    The numbers proposed by the panel of $1.2 million are bogus, with no connection to reality. I draw your attention to Exhibit 2, an article on average inheritance in US by Lee Williams https://www.annuity.org/retirement/estate-planning/average-inheritance/

The article shows that an average inheritance in the US is $46,200. So it shows that $1.2 million is an absolutely bogus number pulled out of thin air. The thinking behind the reparations is that slaves worked and were not compensated, so moneys are owed. However, besides the fact that there were never any slaves in California, an average inheritance Californians get from all sources amounts to $46,200, not $1.2 million. Moreover, this average includes inheritance of people who are descendants of generations of doctors, lawyers, business people, industrialists and so on. In the states where there was slavery, not in California, the slaves worked as domestic workers and farm workers, next to white domestic  and farm workers, who were receiving a very modest salary, which barely covered their living expenses and they could not leave any inheritance at all. So, white people, who worked comparable jobs in slave owning states did not leave any inheritance to their descendants as well.

Currently, we are seeing a phenomenon, a fad, where men claim that they identify as women, compete in women’s sports and take away from women scholarships to top universities and prize money. I assure you that for $1.2 million a pop, every white, Hispanic, Asian  and Native American citizen of California will claim to identify as black and will demand $1.2 million. If giving $1.2 million to every black Californian will not bankrupt the state, this surely will. This highlights the complete idiocy of the current proposal.

Based on all of the above, I urge to reject the proposed reparations.

More at link.