Author Topic: McConnell fears Republicans could 'screw this up' and lose the Senate in 2024  (Read 2878 times)

Offline roamer_1

I honestly get why so many people like Trump.  He did a fantastic job at calling out the disconnect between some GOP elites and the rest of the party, particularly on the issue of immigration where the leadership had been out of step with the rank and file for decades.

But while being willing to speak unpopular truths is fantastic, it is no indication that you have any of the skills or knowledge necessary to actually solve them.  That's where the disconnect is with Trump.  Great at identifying problems, lousy at solving them.

I honestly don't get it... He has a knack for sticking his finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing... And little else. The rest is pomp and bombast, more suitable for media firestorms than any other function. And that is how it plays out too...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The point that really bears repeating here is that much of the credit given to Trump for his accomplishments went to things that were too easily reversed, and that is largely due to Trump's own habit of alienating anyone who isn't 100% loyal to him.

We should have neutered Obamacare, but Trump had gone out of his way to offend the easily offended John McCain, who retaliated by killing Obamacare reform just to deprive Trump of a victory.

He didn't get through anything on the border except emergency funding that wasn't sufficient, and that was started too late into his Presidency to be completed anyway.  What's sad about that is that it appears two Republican governors who started shipping illegals up north to sanctuary cities may have had a lot more success shifting the debate on illegal immigration than Trump ever did as President.

Other than the tax bill - which got written by Ryan and rammed through by the despised Ryan and McConnell - the rest was just EO's, easily reversed by Biden. That's why it shouldn't be a shock to see the damage Biden has been able to do barely two years into his presidency.

The other part of Trump's legacy that shouldn't be overlooked is giving us a Democrat House in 2018, which pretty much ended any chance of legislative accomplishments in the second half of his term.

The guy is the anti-coalition builder because everything is "Me v. The World", and without the ability to build legislative coalitions, he'd get even less done in a second term than he did in the first...unless he slides left, decides to increase spending, and can grab a bunch of Democrat votes that way to create his "legacy".
As for offending McCain, Trump's presence in the White House offended McCain, who thought it should have been him. Envy is not the foundation of coalitions. Admittedly, Trump makes unforced errors of hostility, forgetting, or perhaps never having learned that you don't make an enemy unnecessarily.

But there was the whole "Country Club" GOP who were hostile in a passive aggressive way to Trump, and who practically mandated him using EOs to get anything done. I can't say that crowd was hostile to the open border (still aren't exactly up in arms about it) or Obamacare, and THAT'S why they are still around. Had the House and Senate pounced on those issues day one of Trump's term, that would have been taken care of, but that was not forthcoming,for whatever reason. It would have cost Congressional campaigns more fodder for the stump, promising to do something about those issues, which was easy, but nothing meaningful has been done since Eisenhower, except to put up enough wall to reroute the less athletic invaders.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

As for offending McCain, Trump's presence in the White House offended McCain, who thought it should have been him. Envy is not the foundation of coalitions. Admittedly, Trump makes unforced errors of hostility, forgetting, or perhaps never having learned that you don't make an enemy unnecessarily.

But there was the whole "Country Club" GOP who were hostile in a passive aggressive way to Trump, and who practically mandated him using EOs to get anything done.

That is true - but incidental. Tump said he could handle it, and he didn't. The deal-making necessary to form a winning coalition never formed, though it was promised.

It doesn't even matter whose fault it was in the end, only that it didn't work.

I say throw out all the leadership that could not lead and raise up new ones. Tumpy included. None of them deserve to be in there after that debacle.

Offline Kamaji

That is true - but incidental. Tump said he could handle it, and he didn't. The deal-making necessary to form a winning coalition never formed, though it was promised.

I say throw out all the leadership that could not lead and raise up new ones. Tumpy included. None of them deserve to be in there after that debacle.

:thumbsup:

Online berdie

Absolutely agree. But what scares me is that this country is so divided that no one is going to heal the rifts and put country above self. A house divided cannot stand.

So even if we were able to miraculously have a slate of conservatives run I'm not sure that the electorate would vote for them. I'm talking about the cities that control everything. Not where you and I live. And maybe that is how things are supposed to be? :shrug:

I love your optimism and your posts...but I fear I'm suffering from "Debby Downer Syndrome".

Offline roamer_1

Absolutely agree. But what scares me is that this country is so divided that no one is going to heal the rifts and put country above self. A house divided cannot stand.

So even if we were able to miraculously have a slate of conservatives run I'm not sure that the electorate would vote for them. I'm talking about the cities that control everything. Not where you and I live. And maybe that is how things are supposed to be? :shrug:

I love your optimism and your posts...but I fear I'm suffering from "Debby Downer Syndrome".

That is because the alternative is hidden from the Peoples' eyes.... There is no other way but big government, because the left. the media, and the so-called right tell you so, every day in every venue. Where Conservatives have a microphone, and mean it enough to practice it, they win. And the people rejoice.

I know I did when Gianforte became governor and said, "Enough of all this COVID lockdown crap..." And we've been going hard-right up in here ever since. He has earned my vote, and I doubt a Democrat has a chance in hell against him.

Even in the deep dark ghetto, if a different way was preached, and a different way enforced, soon they would see a turn to the better. It would not take a generation.

Online corbe

It's unfortunate, for most of us, that Trump won that Truck at a Chamber of Commerce rally in 16.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wow.  WADR, you are a f**king idiot if that's what you think; that or a f**king liar.

Since you support Trump, by your own logic, that means you necessarily support all of the liberal stupidity being put into place by Biden because Trump has now allied himself with Biden and the democrats in terms of policy choices.  So, you support Biden, by your own logic.

@Kamaji

The only  "liberal stupidity" comes from people like you,who seem to think we can continue to do what we have been doing,and effect change.

You will NOT get any change and you know it,but are ok with it because what you  really plan is having orgasms as you  do your little "superiority dance" in your living room as you celebrate staying  true to your brain fart while watching the Dims and RINO's get stronger because you will settle for nothing less than what you deem to be perfection.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

This is it.  Either conservatives win in '24 or we lose our country.  Are there enough conservatives running?  Doubtful.  I share your concerns; not everyone is going to be shielded for the most part from the collapse.  Those that lives in cities will be crushed and we will see mayhem in the streets.  DeSantis has done a good job trying to make FL a conservative state, but his term is up soon and I fear that FL won't seat another conservative.  There just aren't enough conservatives running.

That is why I am so opposed to Trump; he's gone after one of the few true conservatives that we have.  What does that truly say about him?  He's putting politics above country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

I think you are dead-on with the bolded language.  But the conclusion I draw is a bit different from yours. If we agree that this is a multi-term problem that cannot be fixed by one guy, then it seems to me a candidate whose focus is "Me against Everyone Else" is the exact opposite of the kind of multi-term movement we're trying to foster.  Especially when that guy only has one term left in him anyway.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I STRONGLY disagree. A "One Termer" with no manners is PRECISELY what we need because the current system needs to be shaken up,and only a one-termer can do this because he or she has nothing to lose by shaking up the system.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You absolutely nailed it.

You can't build a movement with staying power around a guy who so viciously attacks anyone he believes doesn't show him proper deference.  And if you build that guy up to be a one of a kind savior, then you're conceding at the outset that nobody can really take over for him when he's gone.  Because after all, he's unique!

@Maj. Bill Martin

You can NOT put a new system into place without first destroying the old system,and NO "wears red and marches in a straight line party person" is going to do that.

And anyone who doesn't think the  current system doesn't need to be shaken up just ain't been paying any  attention to what has  been going on.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You absolutely nailed it.

You can't build a movement with staying power around a guy who so viciously attacks anyone he believes doesn't show him proper deference.  And if you build that guy up to be a one of a kind savior, then you're conceding at the outset that nobody can really take over for him when he's gone.  Because after all, he's unique!

@Maj. Bill Martin

BTW,once again,NOBODY is going to build a new system around a guy who can only have one term in office.

AFAIAC,that,combined with Trump's willingness to throw bombs at party hacks is his greatest asset.

Online corbe

If you'd just take your Orange tinted glasses off for just a moment @sneakypete You would realize you would have fragged this rookie First Lt six months into his first tour, not give him another 4 years to kill ya by his negligence and stupidity.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

You have to roll your eyes at all the MAGA claims of all this great stuff Trump will do if we just give him 4 more years. Never mind he didn’t do many of them the first go around

They’ll whine about all the opposition he had as if he won’t have that opposition in another term
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

You have to roll your eyes at all the MAGA claims of all this great stuff Trump will do if we just give him 4 more years. Never mind he didn’t do many of them the first go around

They’ll whine about all the opposition he had as if he won’t have that opposition in another term

He had a full majority his first two years ... no excuses
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

I STRONGLY disagree. A "One Termer" with no manners is PRECISELY what we need because the current system needs to be shaken up,and only a one-termer can do this because he or she has nothing to lose by shaking up the system.

@sneakypete

Your fallacy is in believing he will be your guy once you get him back in office. Historically, that is not what happens in second terms. Second terms are notoriously worse than first terms, because the candidate no longer has to rely on the suckers err... his voters...

Since you have already swallowed his first term hook, line, and sinker... Satisfied with suck, he has no reason to please you at all in the second.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

BTW,once again,NOBODY is going to build a new system around a guy who can only have one term in office.

AFAIAC,that,combined with Trump's willingness to throw bombs at party hacks is his greatest asset.

Our system of government is designed so that one guy, even the President, has limited power.  His attitude, ambition, ideas, desire to build his legacy etc., are all irrelevant unless he can build and maintain a coalition in Congress able to enact them.  He couldn't do it the first time around - he was handed control of the House and Senate and couldn't even maintain that.

The second time around, he's a lame duck right from the start, and that means he'll be even less effective at pressuring others to support him because he can't run again.

He'll be the definition of "old man yells at clouds" - all sound and fury, signifying nothing. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 04:18:42 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

Our system of government is designed so that one guy, even the President, has limited power.  His attitude, ambition, ideas, desire to build his legacy etc., are all irrelevant unless he can build and maintain a coalition in Congress able to enact them.  He couldn't do it the first time around - he was handed control of the House and Senate and couldn't even maintain that.

The second time around, he's a lame duck right from the start, and that means he'll be even less effective at pressuring others to support him because he can't run again.

He'll be the definition of "old man yells at clouds" - all sound and fury, signifying nothing. 

:thumbsup:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@LMAO

And to think he failed after all the support you  and your lunatic friends gave him!

BTW,there MAY be SMALL traces of sarcasm in the sentence above.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Your fallacy is in believing he will be your guy once you get him back in office. Historically, that is not what happens in second terms. Second terms are notoriously worse than first terms, because the candidate no longer has to rely on the suckers err... his voters...

Since you have already swallowed his first term hook, line, and sinker... Satisfied with suck, he has no reason to please you at all in the second.

@roamer_1

Rude Orange Man still scares you,huh?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Maj. Bill Martin

You are right,of course.

MUCH mo betta to elect a career politician than Trump. What we need is someone who will go-along to get-along,right?

Offline LMAO

@LMAO

And to think he failed after all the support you  and your lunatic friends gave him!

BTW,there MAY be SMALL traces of sarcasm in the sentence above.

So how is he going to do all these wonderful things in a second term? He’s going to have opposition then. Or is he just going to “throw bombs?” 

His previous record shows that, if he got a second term, most of what he would do would just be through EOs which would be erased by the next Democrat president plus the courts just might also have a say in some of them

That’s why us conservatives understand the concept of attempting to build coalitions and support in Congress were you can verses “ bomb throwing” which you never really define what that even means
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This thread used to be about McConnell being upset about not regaining the Senate in 2024.  Since his treachery cost us at least two elections in '22, I have come to the conclusion he's not upset at all, and prefers to be in the minority Party.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LMAO

This thread used to be about McConnell being upset about not regaining the Senate in 2024.  Since his treachery cost us at least two elections in '22, I have come to the conclusion he's not upset at all, and prefers to be in the minority Party.

That’s because he doesn’t have to do anything in the minority party

But it seems that Republicans in the minority do a better job than when they’re in the majority. Look at the debt ceiling fight as an example

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Rude Orange Man still scares you,huh?

@sneakypete

Not a single bit. He pisses me off, but he sure as hell don't scare me.