Author Topic: McConnell fears Republicans could 'screw this up' and lose the Senate in 2024  (Read 2882 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell fears Republicans could 'screw this up' and lose the Senate in 2024
by Samantha-Jo Roth, Congressional Reporter |
May 08, 2023 02:54 PM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), who has been working for months to recruit candidates to run in key Senate races, admitted he’s not confident Republicans will take back the majority next year despite a favorable map and the need to gain only one or two seats.

“No, no — I’m not,” McConnell said in an interview with CNN when asked if Republicans felt confident about retaking the chamber next year. “I just spent 10 minutes explaining to you how we could screw this up, and we’re working very hard to not let that happen. Let’s put it that way.”

The Kentucky Republican is working to avoid repeating the mistakes of the 2022 midterm election cycle when a favorable political environment did not transfer at the ballot box, and Republicans lost a seat, resulting in a 51-49 Senate Democratic majority. McConnell recently landed a major recruit in West Virginia after Gov. Jim Justice (R-WV) jumped into the race for Sen. Joe Manchin’s (D-WV) seat in West Virginia. He’s also working to recruit candidates in Pennsylvania and Montana.

McConnell also said Republicans are still attempting to assess the situation in Wisconsin and Nevada, where it’s unclear whether the GOP wants to invest resources in those states. The Senate Republican leader also emphasized that Republicans will likely wait to see what happens in the primary in Arizona before they decide to engage.

The landscape in the Grand Canyon State is growing extremely unpredictable in what is expected to be a three-way race for the general election seat held by Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-AZ), the former Democrat who became an independent in December. Progressives are supporting Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), who announced he’s running as a Democrat. Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb became the first Republican to enter the race last month.

Former Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake is considering running. Republican Blake Masters, who lost his Senate bid last year by 5 percentage points, is still considering a run. So is Abe Hamadeh, who lost the 2022 attorney general’s race, Karrin Taylor Robson, who lost the gubernatorial primary to Lake last year, and Republican businessman Jim Lamon, who lost in the primary for Arizona’s other Senate seat in 2022.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/mcconnell-fears-republicans-could-lose-senate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

They'll screw it up with your help Mitch!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We don' t have the Senate now, thanks to you Turtle Dumbass!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
McConnell fears...

I stopped right there.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This guy has less situational awareness than Old Sniffy.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
He's got a point.  Maybe this time Trump will push for an Afghan refugee who lives in Michigan to run for that Indiana seat.

Offline corbe

This woman, whom Trump just endorsed along with the Mitch the Bi1ch, is unavailable for comment (probably out spending your contributions to the RNC).

At least she's no longer paying Trump's Legal fees.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

This woman, whom Trump just endorsed along with the Mitch the Bi1ch, is unavailable for comment (probably out spending your contributions to the RNC).

At least she's no longer paying Trump's Legal fees.

Gee -- two of my favorite people  *****rollingeyes*****

« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 09:07:54 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline ScottinVA

So-called red waves are a thing of the past, as legions of hyper-leftist Gen-Z voters flood the electorate. 

Offline cato potatoe

McConnell is the wrong person to send this message, but republicans can definitely blow the senate if they nominate trumpy candidates — recycled losers, in the case of Arizona.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I stopped right there.

@Bigun

He doesn't fear enough. If there were any real justice in this world,that SOB would be out of office come the next election,and walking along roads to college bottles and cans for spending money.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
McConnell is the wrong person to send this message, but republicans can definitely blow the senate if they nominate trumpy candidates — recycled losers, in the case of Arizona.

@cato potatoe

Yeah,MUCH mo betta to elect people like Bush,huh? He knows how to get along with the opposition,and not make waves. Polite,too!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 05:11:13 am by sneakypete »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Oh yeah! It's SO important that we get the ring kissing in! /S

What's the point of electing a Republican senate filled with RINOs?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

@cato potatoe

Yeah,MUCH mo betta to elect people like Bush,huh? He knows how to get along with the opposition,and not make waves. Polite,too!

Wow.  Where did @cato potatoe mention anything even remotely like Bush?

You really need to start thinking before you post.  The simple fact of the matter is, in contested races, Trump has not done very well in choosing winners (he usually chooses losers).  That is a fact, and stating it is not ipso facto support for a Bush.

Get over yourself.

Offline roamer_1

@sneakypete

You always seem to act like there are no other options.

When in fact, Tumpy is not a Conservative, and neither is Boosh. Neither the moderates who you warp on, nor the liberals like Tumpy are the answer., polite or otherwise.

Offline cato potatoe

@sneakypete

When in fact, Tumpy is not a Conservative, and neither is Boosh. Neither the moderates who you warp on, nor the liberals like Tumpy are the answer., polite or otherwise.

It depends on the electorate, the popularity of the incumbent, and the pool of available candidates.  Susan Collins is far preferable to whatever moonbat the democrats offer, and probably the most conservative person Mainers will tolerate.  A traditional conservative can win in Georgia ... but not an inexperienced, mentally deficient person who just so happens to be (temporarily) on good terms with Donald Trump.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
It depends on the electorate, the popularity of the incumbent, and the pool of available candidates.  Susan Collins is far preferable to whatever moonbat the democrats offer, and probably the most conservative person Mainers will tolerate.  A traditional conservative can win in Georgia ... but not an inexperienced, mentally deficient person who just so happens to be (temporarily) on good terms with Donald Trump.

How about we just let the consultant class pick our candidates for us?  NO! Wait! I think we are already doing that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

I think that is largely a failure to communicate - Reality is no different where you live in comparison to where I live. The truth is not malleable. There are cultural differences and perhaps difference in emphasis... But the things that WORK do not change, and in fact have not changed in all of history.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Oh yeah! It's SO important that we get the ring kissing in! /S

What's the point of electing a Republican senate filled with RINOs?

@Bigun

Unfortunately,it seems there are many people who identify  themselves as "conservatives" because they don't carry Mao's "Little Red Book" around with them everywhere they go,and RINO's in office give them the "warm and fuzzies".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Wow.  Where did @cato potatoe mention anything even remotely like Bush?

You really need to start thinking before you post.  The simple fact of the matter is, in contested races, Trump has not done very well in choosing winners (he usually chooses losers).  That is a fact, and stating it is not ipso facto support for a Bush.

Get over yourself.

@Kamaji

You seem to think that Presidential candidates pick who runs for local and state races.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

@roamer_1

There ARE no other options for President if you have any interest at all in saving America.

Granted,who runs for and wins Congressional and Senate seats is of major importance,also. Not enough attention seems to be going towards candidates for those seats. Maybe because it is still so "early". I HOPE that is the reason,anyway.

Yeah,the Presidential elections are important,but so are the congressional and senate seats.

Not to mention the local political positions,which gets little attention BECAUSE they are "local".

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
How about we just let the consultant class pick our candidates for us?  NO! Wait! I think we are already doing that!

@Bigun

Yeah,that seems to be at the root of our problems.

Offline roamer_1

There ARE no other options for President if you have any interest at all in saving America.

@sneakypete

Messianic nonsense.

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

You seem to think that Presidential candidates pick who runs for local and state races.

Nope.  Trump endorsed a whole slew of people for federal elections, and in the contested elections - i.e., where the republican candidate wasn't already a shoe-in - Trump sucked moose-cock.

Face it, Trump is a loser, not a winner, and he is an albatross who drags down other candidates with the weight of his incompetence.

Offline Kamaji

@roamer_1

Granted,who runs for and wins Congressional and Senate seats is of major importance,also. Not enough attention seems to be going towards candidates for those seats. Maybe because it is still so "early". I HOPE that is the reason,anyway.

Yeah,the Presidential elections are important,but so are the congressional and senate seats.

Not to mention the local political positions,which gets little attention BECAUSE they are "local".

:mauslaff:  Who?  The fool who couldn't even rally his political allies to get a wall built, or Obamacare repealed?  The guy who has few political allies because he inevitably ends up shitting all over them sooner rather than later?

Trump is great at tweeting insults and at getting liberal undies all twisted up, and liberal pearls clutched, but he is terrible at turning any of that into actual positive results.  He's like a failed real estate agent who has a wonderful pitch rehearsed, but can't actually convert any of his pitches into actual sales.

Trump is not going to save America from anything, least of all the liberal policy ideas he's started to publicly espouse (once again).