Author Topic: Raider Without a Cause: Why is America Buying the B-21?  (Read 111 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Raider Without a Cause: Why is America Buying the B-21?
« on: May 09, 2023, 02:11:26 pm »
Sat, 05/06/2023 - 10:26am
Raider Without a Cause: Why is America Buying the B-21?

By Tom Ordeman, Jr.

Un-Asked, Un-Answered

In 2014, the U.S. Air Force began development of the B-21 Raider, its next generation stealth bomber. However, despite having socialized a set of requirements, identified a vendor, and set a per-unit price that will inevitably skyrocket, any serious discussion of whether a need for this platform actually exists has taken place - pun intended - largely under the radar.

In fact, for many of the same reasons that have led some scholars to argue the controversial position that  the Air Force should be amalgamated back into the other services, serious doubts underscore the alleged requirement for a new fleet of heavy bombers. Instead, the United States can - and should - assume minimal risk by letting this platform hibernate with the projected retirement of B-1B Lancer and B-2 Spirit, and long-term sustainment of the B-52 Stratofortress fleet; and channel the projected $113 billion price tag into versatile solutions that are more appropriate to modern conditions.

A Brief History of Heavy Bombing

Heavy bombing developed during the interwar period. Improvements in aircraft capabilities, paired with conjectural doctrine from the likes of Giulio Douhet and Billy Mitchell, led designers to load ever larger payloads aboard ever more capable aircraft. The "massive bombardment" concept suggested that, in addition to demolishing military targets, heavy bombing of an enemy's industrial base would cripple their capacity to wage war while simultaneously eroding public support for the enemy's war effort. However, sustained and costly bombing campaigns failed to produce such results in Germany or Imperial Japan.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/raider-without-cause-why-america-buying-b-21
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 02:12:27 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Raider Without a Cause: Why is America Buying the B-21?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 02:13:02 pm »
If nothing else, it sure looks menacing! :amen:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 02:13:43 pm »
Because it has a nifty, neato name?

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 02:16:51 pm »
That, too.
Thomas Jefferson