Author Topic: Gov. Greg Abbott calls for mental health funding, downplays gun control after Texas mall shooting  (Read 835 times)

Offline Kamaji

Gov. Greg Abbott calls for mental health funding, downplays gun control after Texas mall shooting

By Jesse O’Neill and Ronny Reyes
May 7, 2023

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Sunday said the “long term” solution to reducing mass shootings was addressing mental health after a gunman killed eight people at a Dallas-area mall — while President Biden called on Congress to pass an assault weapons ban.

Abbott, a Republican who is dealing with the second mass shooting in his state in a week and a half, downplayed the need for lawmakers to tighten gun laws during an interview on “Fox News Sunday.”

“People want a quick solution; the long term solution here is to address the mental health issue,” Abbott told Fox News’ Shannon Bream.

Abbott did also call for increased penalties and stricter laws “to get guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals,” but did not demand new gun control measures.

Officials have not released any information about the identity, age, motivation or mental health history of the man who opened fire in the parking lot of Allen Premium Outlets Saturday afternoon. He was shot dead by a cop who was patrolling the area, police said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/07/gov-greg-abbott-says-mental-health-funding-is-long-term-solution-to-curbing-gun-massacres/

Offline Kamaji

That will be a part of it, but the problem is, ultimately, a cultural problem, and so will require a cultural realignment as well.

Offline libertybele

That will be a part of it, but the problem is, ultimately, a cultural problem, and so will require a cultural realignment as well.

A cultural realignment @Kamaji -- that will never fly.  Then you're infringing on the rights of that culture.  They're coming in across our borders -- how do you propose to do a cultural realignment???

The 2A must NOT be infringed in any way, that IMHO IS all we have left.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Abbot is catching a lot of flack from the anti-gun people--which means he is on target.

There are two things in common in the majority of these mass shootings:

One is a firearm...

...the other is a nutcase person with one or more serious mental issues.

Address the mental health problems, (which have grown worse, especially with the 'trans' fad being nourished at the teat of a greedy medical establishment gone off the rails and the media), and the number of homicidal maniacs should decrease.

The other aspect (for the surviving shooters) is a public and very nasty execution that might act as a deterrent sufficient enough to break through the delusions of grandeur potential homicidal maniacs might be having.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

A cultural realignment @Kamaji -- that will never fly.  Then you're infringing on the rights of that culture.  They're coming in across our borders -- how do you propose to do a cultural realignment???

The 2A must NOT be infringed in any way, that IMHO IS all we have left.

If I had all the answers, I'd be running for office.  I don't; but what I do know is the current penchant for violence is a cultural manifestation primarily; it is not the result of the presence of guns within an otherwise static culture.

The fact is, 30 or 40 years ago, and earlier, there wasn't as much violence in our culture, and this despite the fact that guns were much more present in civilian hands than they are now, so the question is:  what changed.  I think we know the basics of much of that.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Abbot is catching a lot of flack from the anti-gun people--which means he is on target.

There are two things in common in the majority of these mass shootings:

One is a firearm...

...the other is a nutcase person with one or more serious mental issues.

Address the mental health problems, (which have grown worse, especially with the 'trans' fad being nourished at the teat of a greedy medical establishment gone off the rails and the media), and the number of homicidal maniacs should decrease.

The other aspect (for the surviving shooters) is a public and very nasty execution that might act as a deterrent sufficient enough to break through the delusions of grandeur potential homicidal maniacs might be having.

There is a LOT more to all this than meets the eye but none of it is about guns.

Informational links follow:

https://reduceflooding.com/tag/trey-harris/

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/...outheast-texas/

https://abc13.com/liberty-county-texas-b...itions/1063411/

Interesting tidbit from the second link:

Texas in general, and its Governor Greg Abbott in particular, have a reputation for stringency on immigration. It would certainly be odd had state authorities turned a blind eye to the apparent malfeasance at Colony Ridge. Interestingly enough, Dolcefino found that the Harris family has contributed $600,000 to Governor Abbott’s campaigns.

An email to Abbott’s press office was left unreturned.

(Colony Ridge is the Liberty County Colonia where five people died recently.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 06:54:29 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

I saw a tweet this morning and, unfortunately, forgot to save it or post it here. It observed that over the period in which the U.S. population has doubled, the numbers of people in mental hospitals has decreased disproportionately. Mentally ill people - including the most dangerous - are walking around, untreated. And they're killing other people.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

I saw a tweet this morning and, unfortunately, forgot to save it or post it here. It observed that over the period in which the U.S. population has doubled, the numbers of people in mental hospitals has decreased disproportionately. Mentally ill people - including the most dangerous - are walking around, untreated. And they're killing other people.

I think it probably all boils down to funding.  Does Medicaid cover the costs???  I doubt many have private insurance or the means to sustain treatment. 

It's a fine line -- who is going to determine treatment needed?  Secondly, who's going to pay for the treatment?  Doctors need to get paid and maintaining hospitals isn't cheap.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

[...] the other is a nutcase person with one or more serious mental issues.

That's all right, but shrinks ain't gonna fix a dang thing. This is the effects of SIN, indoctrinated through every liberal source - Government, school systems, media... Now even through medicine and business...

That is what is spawning these freaks, And it will not stop until those sources are destroyed or the liberalism decimated within them.

Offline Smokin Joe

There is a LOT more to all this than meets the eye but none of it is about guns.

Informational links follow:

https://reduceflooding.com/tag/trey-harris/

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/...outheast-texas/

https://abc13.com/liberty-county-texas-b...itions/1063411/

Interesting tidbit from the second link:

An email to Abbott’s press office was left unreturned.

(Colony Ridge is the Liberty County Colonia where five people died recently.)
Second link gets a 404. His is a surface hydrology/soils problem and should have been cut-and-dried if the sampling, typing, and calculations were done correctly. That might have required holding ponds, maybe even a lake to catch runoff and control downstream effects, but the folks who were supposed to do that haven't produced the data, should it exist.

Some corners can't be cut without disastrous results.

As for who paid who, peel the lid back and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't like crooks, I don't care what brand they wave.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Second link gets a 404. His is a surface hydrology/soils problem and should have been cut-and-dried if the sampling, typing, and calculations were done correctly. That might have required holding ponds, maybe even a lake to catch runoff and control downstream effects, but the folks who were supposed to do that haven't produced the data, should it exist.

Some corners can't be cut without disastrous results.

As for who paid who, peel the lid back and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't like crooks, I don't care what brand they wave.

The link was fine when I posted.   :shrug:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/an-alien-haven-in-southeast-texas/

« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 08:08:13 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

The link was fine when I posted.   :shrug:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/an-alien-haven-in-southeast-texas/

Thanks! In the first post a segment of the link had been replaced by ... and that did not work.  Seems like there are a few folks there either bought out or intimidated who could have set things right (and still could, if they had the sand and the integrity), to the increased distress of those who were there before this development.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Here's something along the lines of what I posted above.

Tweeted by @Noahpinion

Online mountaineer

Aha! I have no idea whether these numbers are accurate, but this is what I saw the other day.