Author Topic: Hundreds of pounds of cooked pasta mysteriously dumped in New Jersey woods  (Read 1370 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

My point being that nature would have feasted... And it would all be gone anyway in a week.

@roamer_1

True.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If that stash had been in storage for any length of time, it may not have been good to eat, especially without oxygen absorbers, etc. I am doubting that was all fresh.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

If that stash had been in storage for any length of time, it may not have been good to eat, especially without oxygen absorbers, etc. I am doubting that was all fresh.

To my knowledge, noodles don't go bad. Not any time soon.

Offline Smokin Joe

To my knowledge, noodles don't go bad. Not any time soon.
Most sources say dried pasta properly stored (cool, dry place) lasts for a couple of years past the 'use by' date. Sealed in glass or mylar with oxygen absorbers, I'd go almost indefinite (out of sunlight, cool, dry place). But the store shelf packaging, with less than optimum conditions, and allowing for the presence of bugs, the person throwing it out may have had good reason to doubt it, and might have figured the critters would eat it instead.
Mice might have gotten into that pantry, too.
It doesn't look like there were any critters getting fat off of it, either...maybe the rats at the dump.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Most sources say dried pasta properly stored (cool, dry place) lasts for a couple of years past the 'use by' date. Sealed in glass or mylar with oxygen absorbers, I'd go almost indefinite (out of sunlight, cool, dry place). But the store shelf packaging, with less than optimum conditions, and allowing for the presence of bugs, the person throwing it out may have had good reason to doubt it, and might have figured the critters would eat it instead.
Mice might have gotten into that pantry, too.
It doesn't look like there were any critters getting fat off of it, either...maybe the rats at the dump.

Huh... I use noodles WAY past the sell-by date... No special storage... Just leave em in their store-bought bags, and them bags together in a sealed 5gal bucket... I dunno if I ever put an O2 absorber in the buckets... I might have. And them buckets rotate forward... But then, they ARE proper noodles... None of em 'fast cook' up in here. I literally pay no mind to the date.

Noodles, rice, and beans... I keep em around. They are the cheapest and keep the longest.

Offline Smokin Joe

Huh... I use noodles WAY past the sell-by date... No special storage... Just leave em in their store-bought bags, and them bags together in a sealed 5gal bucket... I dunno if I ever put an O2 absorber in the buckets... I might have. And them buckets rotate forward... But then, they ARE proper noodles... None of em 'fast cook' up in here. I literally pay no mind to the date.

Noodles, rice, and beans... I keep em around. They are the cheapest and keep the longest.
I have loads of rice and beans, sealed, with oxygen absorbers, in buckets, in a dark pantry that stays about the same temp year-round. Should be good for years yet.

Noodles don't last that long around here, not long enough to get up a pile that size. Maybe I should buy more, but generally, the three of us go through about 25 lbs of pasta a year.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I have loads of rice and beans, sealed, with oxygen absorbers, in buckets, in a dark pantry that stays about the same temp year-round. Should be good for years yet.

Noodles don't last that long around here, not long enough to get up a pile that size. Maybe I should buy more, but generally, the three of us go through about 25 lbs of pasta a year.

I go through a bit... Goulash, spaghetti, and chicken/tuna/hamburger casseroles. Mac and Cheese... Nothing special though... Flat, elbow macaroni, and spaghetti noodles are all I store in bulk...

Offline Smokin Joe

I go through a bit... Goulash, spaghetti, and chicken/tuna/hamburger casseroles. Mac and Cheese... Nothing special though... Flat, elbow macaroni, and spaghetti noodles are all I store in bulk...
Something Mrs. Joe turned me on to was elbow spaghetti. It's like a thinner, tighter macaroni, and doesn't fall apart as fast in soup or even mac and cheese. It's getting harder to find around here, though and about once a year I order in a case.

C S Lewis