Author Topic: Ballooning cost of insuring undocumented immigrants complicating state budget negotiations  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ballooning cost of insuring undocumented immigrants complicating state budget negotiations
By Dan Petrella and Jeremy Gorner
Chicago Tribune

May 07, 2023 at 5:00 am

The $49.6 billion budget Gov. J.B. Pritzker introduced in February estimated the cost of a program that provides state-funded health insurance to adult immigrants who are in the country without legal permission at $220 million.

Just three months later, that estimate has grown fivefold, swelling to $1.1 billion and threatening to blow a hole in the Democratic governor’s proposal for the budget year that begins July 1, the first of his second term.

At the same time, revenue flowing to the state appears to be slowing, putting further pressure on Pritzker and the Democratic-controlled legislature as they try to assemble a spending plan that continues the financial progress made during the past four years. The General Assembly’s spring session is scheduled to adjourn May 19.

Illinois created a program in 2020 that provides Medicaid-style coverage to immigrants 65 and older who are in the country without legal permission or who have green cards but haven’t completed a five-year waiting period and are therefore ineligible for the traditional health insurance program for the poor, which is jointly funded by the federal government. The program has been expanded twice, now covering those 42 and older.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-undocumented-immigrant-health-care-illinois-budget-20230507-77il2hnu2jcb5g5frgxbfwotzm-story.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Illinois and Chicago created their own mess, MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT.  I DON'T WANT TO!!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson