Author Topic: Airline passengers could be in for a rougher ride, thanks to climate change  (Read 514 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Airline passengers could be in for a rougher ride, thanks to climate change
Scott Neuman, NPRApril 6, 2023 4:00 AM

In March, Ingrid Weisse, her husband and two young sons were aboard Alaska Airlines 889 from Portland, Ore., on a flight home to Hawaii when the Boeing 737 began buffeting so fiercely that it felt as if the plane would shake itself apart.

"It got really, really violent," says Weisse. There was lots of screaming in the cabin. A flight attendant was hit by an ice bucket that became a projectile. So many people got sick from the sudden changes in altitude that flight attendants had to hand out more vomit bags, she says. Midway through the approximately 45-minute ordeal, one frightened passenger yelled out, "Please tell us this is normal!"

For Weisse and her family — all frequent flyers — it was like nothing they had ever experienced. Clearly the passengers aboard their flight were rattled, but so were the flight attendants. Before disembarking in Honolulu, one of them confided to Weisse that it was the worst turbulence she'd seen in 23 years on the job.

There are different kinds of turbulence, and it's hard to pinpoint what caused the extreme conditions that rocked Weisse's flight. In an email, Alaska Airlines acknowledged "unexpected turbulence" on the flight. But researchers say there's evidence that a particularly unpredictable type known as "clear-air turbulence" is becoming more frequent, says Paul Williams, a professor of atmospheric science at the University of Reading in England.

Grow the Future of Public Media

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/05/04/turbulence-on-airplanes-is-increasing-its-because-of-climate-change-nbc-npr-say/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
PURE   :bsflag:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Most turbulence is where air masses are mixing, with accompanying storm fronts or not. That mixing is usually at a specific flight level, within a couple thousand feet +/-, and only sometimes purely vertical in nature (usually in a supercell environment).

A change of flight level should minimize, if not eliminate the problem.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I attribute a rougher ride to oversold flights, smaller seats, and higher ticket prices.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Smokin Joe

I attribute a rougher ride to oversold flights, smaller seats, and higher ticket prices.
and the TSA theater...

It's been a long time since they let you smoke in the back of the plane--which incidentally, was the most survivable part in the event of a crash landing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:43:11 pm by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
They cite ONE bad flight. Yeah let's have a freak out.

Every day, FAA 's Air Traffic Organization (ATO) provides service to more than 45,000 flights and 2.9 million airline passengers across more than 29 million square miles of airspace.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/by_the_numbers#:~:text=Every%20day%2C%20FAA%20%27s%20Air%20Traffic%20Organization%20%28ATO%29,more%20than%2029%20million%20square%20miles%20of%20airspace.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

Total bullshit. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Really, no problem, just don't fly through thunderheads or mushroom clouds.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Really, no problem, just don't fly through thunderheads or mushroom clouds.

I was on a flight from London to New York years ago. Coming into JFK, at night,  there was a thunderstorm happening. It got rough. I was looking out the window and could see the runway lights. We were pretty low when a side gust hit and those lights diappeared. I admit that puckered me up.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

I was on a flight from London to New York years ago. Coming into JFK, at night,  there was a thunderstorm happening. It got rough. I was looking out the window and could see the runway lights. We were pretty low when a side gust hit and those lights diappeared. I admit that puckered me up.
Flying into Denver once and got sideslipped by one of those roller winds the Front Range is notorious for. You know the aircraft is going sideways, you can feel it, and the poor lady behind me was turning green. I managed to distract her long enough for us to get on the ground, and thankfully she didn't lose her lunch (or it would have likely turned into the 'vomit comet'...).

C S Lewis