Author Topic: Conservatives Won The Word ‘Woke.’ Now It’s Time To Reclaim Accurate Language Everywhere  (Read 241 times)

Offline Kamaji

Conservatives Won The Word ‘Woke.’ Now It’s Time To Reclaim Accurate Language Everywhere

By describing woke ideologies and their fruits at face value, conservatives felled the left’s self-conferred monopoly on how, when, and where the term could be used.

BY: ELLE PURNELL
MAY 05, 2023

The Associated Press Stylebook, a once-respected linguistic guide for journalists, conceded the definition of the word “woke” to conservatives on Thursday, in an update instructing writers to “use quotes around the slang term.”

“Woke” was originally popularized by left-wing proponents of identity politics to flatteringly refer to their own “enlightenment or awakening about issues of racial and other forms of social justice,” as the AP explains. Conservatives have used it to describe those same people and their ideas.

Those ideas more often than not, demand revolutionary social changes that prejudge people based on their secondary physical characteristics. If, like the vast majority of America until about five seconds ago, you think such identitarian prejudices are a bad thing, you might use the word “woke” in a less than fawning manner. Apparently, the AP’s staff can’t handle that.

AP’s concession of the word is hilariously thin-skinned, but it’s also a rare win for conservatives in the war of words. Just by describing woke behavior as such, we’ve held a bit of ground against the unhinged language police who are mad that the right is using their terminology against them. Unintentionally, it seems we’ve ended up with command of the word altogether, if left-wing outlets like the AP are henceforth refusing to use it.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2023/05/05/conservatives-won-the-word-woke-now-its-time-to-reclaim-accurate-language-everywhere/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I've always thought that the whole transgenderism campaign is really a definitional argument at its core.  The concepts of biological sex and "gender expression" are completely separate, and the language for describing them should be completely separate as well.

All languages have always defined the male/female distinction by biological sex.   We know this because those exact same terms are applicable to all mammals not just humans, and they are based solely on each animal's biological sex.  Dogs don't have "gender expression".

That's why I think we miss the boat by arguing "you can't change your gender". That surrenders to the whackos the idea that the male/female distinction should be based on the ambiguous word "gender" rather than on biological sex, which cannot be changed.

Offline berdie

I agree. No matter how many parts you cut off of your body...or add...the DNA remains the same.

It's more than just mammals that have this trait. It's fish, snakes, etc.