Author Topic: Congress Just Doled Out The Most Pork In Nearly Two Decades, Government Watchdog Says  (Read 312 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress Just Doled Out The Most Pork In Nearly Two Decades, Government Watchdog Says
U.S. Senate Debates Omnibus Spending Bill

MICHAEL GINSBERG
CONGRESSIONAL CORRESPONDENT
April 27, 2023

Congress has passed more than $26 billion in earmarks during Fiscal Year 2023, the highest amount since 2006, the watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) reported.

Members in both chambers were able to pass 7,396 earmarks into law in FY2023, according to CAGW’s pig book. That number was up from 5,138 in FY2022, when Congress spent more than $19 billion on earmarks. Both chambers brought back pork in 2021, one decade after the parties announced a ban on the practice. (RELATED: The Pigs Are Back At The Trough—Senate Republicans Planning Earmarks Despite Ban)

Nearly every Democrat requested at least one earmark in FY2023, according to the pig book, with only four out of the party’s 275 members not filing for one. Fewer than half of Republicans requested earmarks, although outgoing Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby requested the highest-dollar earmarks out of any elected official. He garnered 18 earmarks totaling more than $666,000,000. His costliest earmark gave $200,000,000 to the Alabama State Port Authority to expand a terminal.

Earmarks were mostly requested by senators in FY2023, according to the pig book. Only two members of the House were among the top 50 officials who secured the most. This stands in contrast to FY2021, when Republican Rep. Garret Graves requested more than $1 billion for Louisiana’s Sixth District.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/04/27/congress-just-doled-out-the-most-pork-in-nearly-two-decades-government-watchdog-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Congress Just Doled Out The Most Pork In Nearly Two Decades, Government Watchdog Says

Sheech! You would think a government watchdog would know that is the entire purpose of government for ALL democrats and most Republicans now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

Of course they did

After all, we can just print all the money we need, right
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Of course they did

After all, we can just print all the money we need, right

MAGIC!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Dem Prez, Dem Senate, and Dem House ... what did you expect?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online mountaineer

Natalie Winters
@nataliegwinters
Peak Biden administration is using taxpayer dollars to fund classes for "transgender women makeup entrepreneurs" in Nepal.

2:42 PM · May 2, 2023

Biden offers $500,000 grant to English teachers that focus on transgender Pakistani youth
Brendan Taylor
May 2, 2023 1:03 pm

The Biden administration is offering a $500,000 grant to provide “intensive professional development courses for transgender youth” as part of an effort to teach English language skills in Pakistan, Fox News reported.

The grant’s objective is to teach the English language to Pakistani youth so that they can “better participate in the global community and prepare them for success in the workplace.”

The grant is structured around three primary components:

Professional Development for English Language Teachers from Non-Mainstream Institutions
    Professional Development for novice Pakistani English language teachers
    Professional Development for Transgender Youth and for Afghan Teachers, Students, and Young Professionals Residing in Pakistan

The program component that focuses on educating and training transgender youth is open to proposals ranging from $25,000 to $75,000. ...
Insider Paper

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

REPORTER: "Is [Biden] serious about limiting spending?"

BUDGET DIRECTOR SHALANDA YOUNG: "There is spending we like not to talk about."

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1654192800097882113
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

REPORTER: "Is [Biden] serious about limiting spending?"

BUDGET DIRECTOR SHALANDA YOUNG: "There is spending we like not to talk about."

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1654192800097882113

:facepalm2: