Author Topic: Albany Democrats approve ‘cap and invest’ plan that could increase gas prices by 62 cents per gallon  (Read 336 times)

Offline Kamaji

Albany Democrats approve ‘cap and invest’ plan that could increase gas prices by 62 cents per gallon

By Zach Williams
May 3, 2023

ALBANY — The $229 billion state budget approved Tuesday includes a “cap and invest” plan to cut carbon emissions that Gov. Kathy Hochul’s administration has admitted will fuel future spikes in energy costs.

Gasoline prices could increase by 62 cents per gallon while natural gas costs might skyrocket by 80%, Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Basil Seggos said in late March.

The prices would go up as fuel producers pay for their carbon emissions under the plan, and then pass that cost on to consumers, according to Seggos.

The warning was part of an unsuccessful effort by Gov. Kathy Hochul ahead of the April 1 state budget deadline to convince state lawmakers to loosen pollution limits to reduce projected price increases due to “cap and invest” aiming to make polluters pay for emitting carbon.

“It’s going to raise costs on anything that’s being produced by these facilities that use natural gas and produce emissions,” state Sen. Tom O’Mara (R-Elmira) said at the Capitol Wednesday before voting against the budget.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/05/03/ny-approves-plan-that-could-increase-gas-prices-by-62-cents-per-gallon/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just another nail in New York's coffin.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Just another nail in New York's coffin.

Yes, and more incentive to move away.

Offline libertybele

Will NYC eventually become a ghost town, or just a city full of ILLEGALS, homeless, addicts, alcoholics, etc??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Will NYC eventually become a ghost town, or just a city full of ILLEGALS, homeless, addicts, alcoholics, etc??

It'll become like most other third-world cities - a toxic mix of the ultra-wealthy and the destitute, without a real middle class.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It'll become like most other third-world cities - a toxic mix of the ultra-wealthy and the destitute, without a real middle class.
Rio on the Hudson!

Favelas for everyone!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:28:38 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Smokin' Joe wrote:
"Rio on the Hudson!
Favelas for everyone!"

Reminds me of the movie I watched last weekend:
Elysium

It was interesting and I have to say I liked it, HOWEVER, it had an underlying theme:
There are no "illegal" citizens (of Elysium, that is).