Author Topic: Milloy forces ExxonMobil to admit for the first time that more CO2 is produced than stored during en  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Milloy forces ExxonMobil to admit for the first time that more CO2 is produced than stored during enhanced oil recovery

I love oil companies. But I hate lying. Especially climate lying.

Oil companies have for years been telling the public that they are reducing CO2 emissions by storing CO2 underground when they inject it into wells to produce hard-to-reach oil. This process is called “enhanced oil recovery” or EOR. I showed the claim was false years ago. But no company would admit it.

Now thanks to my shareholder proposal (below) at ExxonMobil, I have forced an oil company to admit for the first time that its use of CO2 in EOR produces on a net basis more CO2 (when the oil is ultimately burned) than the amount of CO2 stored underground.

So, for example, if a conventionally produced barrel of oil produces 0.42 tons of CO2 when burned (per EPA), then an EOR-produced barrel of oil will produce 0.26 tons (per ExxonMobil) — versus the oil company propaganda that gives the impression that each ton of CO2 used in EOR reduced emissions by one ton. So EOR reduces emissions (vs. emissions for oil produced without EOR), but it does not offset emissions as implied/claimed.

https://junkscience.com/2023/05/milloy-forces-exxonmobil-to-admit-for-the-first-time-that-more-co2-is-produced-than-stored-during-enhanced-oil-recovery/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The original objective wasn't to "store CO2 underground", but to enhance oil recovery in existing fields.
Perhaps there needs to be another line in their accounting, that being the amount of CO2 that would be produced in re-drilling and refraccing those fields, instead of merely injecting CO2 to enhance recovery, which could be subtracted from the CO2 produced by burning the oil (assuming it is even burned, when some goes for chemical industry feedstocks).

Counting the CO2 produced by the oil recovered when it is used (because of the enhanced recovery of oil) against the amount of CO2 required to be sequestered to recover that oil is just bullshit.

The objective has been restated to placate the CO2 phobics, but the objective was to more efficiently recover oil from existing oil fields.

If that oil was never burned, more CO2 would go in the ground than the oil produced would emit.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis