Author Topic: NATO warns US that Russia is mapping critical infrastructure, undersea systems  (Read 111 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NATO warns US that Russia is mapping critical infrastructure, undersea systems

FEATUREDWIB POLITICS May 4, 2023 Staff Writer 0

Natalia Drozdiak
Bloomberg News
(TNS)

NATO’s intelligence chief said that Russia is mapping critical undersea systems and warned of a significant risk that Moscow could target infrastructure in Europe and North America.

“There are heightened concerns that Russia may target undersea cables and other critical infrastructure in an effort to disrupt Western life and gain leverage against those nations that are providing support to Ukraine,” David Cattler, the military alliance’s Assistant Secretary General for intelligence and security, told reporters.

Members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization have been racing to better safeguard undersea critical infrastructure after Nord Stream pipeline blasts last fall highlighted the difficulty of monitoring facilities and identifying attackers.

At issue is protecting systems like undersea cables, which account for 95% of internet communications and together carry an estimated $10 trillion worth of financial transactions every day, according to NATO.

https://warisboring.com/nato-warns-us-that-russia-is-mapping-critical-infrastructure-undersea-systems/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson