Author Topic: What's Holding Up the US Military's Use of AI?  (Read 83 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What's Holding Up the US Military's Use of AI?
« on: May 02, 2023, 07:55:19 pm »
What's Holding Up the US Military's Use of AI?
Two of the obstacles are spotty networks and inadequate data, CENTCOM's CTO says.
EDWARD GRAHAM | APRIL 28, 2023
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE MIDDLE EAST C4ISR

Even as the Department of Defense continues to promote the military’s adoption of artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies, there are a number of challenges—such as the adequate collection and use of high-quality data and network infrastructure breakdowns—that need to be addressed to enhance the effectiveness of these autonomous tools for frontline use, the chief technology officer for U. S. Central Command—or CENTCOM—said during a speech on Thursday.

During an event on artificial intelligence and the future of warfare held by SparkCognition Government Systems, Schuyler Moore—CENTCOM’s CTO—said that combatant commands’ implementation of AI tools and technologies looks vastly different “from a conceptual level for what makes it difficult.”

“If you think about data being the limiting factor for maturity and function of a model, we at the edge have found that network infrastructure and function is the limiting factor for adoption and use of anything,” Moore said. “We have found incredible examples of models that have exquisite capabilities, but we can't use them where we're at because there is not the compute power available, because the interface or the type of software is not available, because it doesn't run on the right classification of network. And so there are all these friction points that are at an underlying layer.”

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2023/04/dods-frontline-ai-adoption-still-limited-network-and-data-collection/385747/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: What's Holding Up the US Military's Use of AI?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:59:56 pm »
Three other possibilities:

1.  China has told Biden to hold off until they can create the technology or

2.  They can steal the technology or

3.  Biden gives them the technology
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson