Author Topic: There are only 3 new cars priced under $20,000 now  (Read 302 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
There are only 3 new cars priced under $20,000 now
« on: May 02, 2023, 04:24:06 pm »
May 2, 2023 8:07am EDT
There are only 3 new cars priced under $20,000 now
Automakers have been discontinuing the cheapest models

By Gary Gastelu FOXBusiness

New vehicle sale prices fell below MSRP in March for the first time in nearly two years as supply chain issues continue to ease up, but cars and trucks are still far from cheap.

The average price paid for a new vehicle was $48,008 in March, according to Kelley Blue Book, a drop of $550 from the prior month.

"We’ve been anticipating transaction price declines, as inventory has been steadily improving and choice has expanded. More vehicles on dealer lots -- and on their competitors’ lots -- means dealers simply don’t have the pricing power they did six months ago," said Rebecca Rydzewski, Cox Automotive research manager of economic and industry insights.

Prices are expected to continue their downward trend, but are unlikely to reach the $37,736 average they were at in March 2020 anytime soon, if ever again.

The most inexpensive vehicle offered by an American brand is the new 2024 Chevrolet Trax SUV, which is $21,495, following the end of production for the $14,595 Chevrolet Spark hatchback last year.

Along with cuts by other brands, there are only three vehicles left on sale with starting prices including delivery fees below $20,000.

KIA RIO/RIO5

The Kia Rio is the brand's smallest sedan. (Kia)

The Kia Rio subcompact sedan starts at $17,875 and the Rio5 hatchback at $18,515.

Both front-wheel-drive models come standard with a 120 hp four-cylinder engine, automatic transmission, air conditioning and a highway fuel economy rating of 41 mpg.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/only-new-car-priced-under
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: There are only 3 new cars priced under $20,000 now
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 02:31:09 am »
I was forced to buy a new car about 6-8 months ago,and bought a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry with 200 hp,auto trans,ps,pb,and all sorts of other crap.

Sticker price was right at $28,00.0,but they gave me a 500 dollar veterans discount.

Damn thing will FLY when I kick in the passing gear,and the typical gas mileage I get in local driving is around 38-45 mph on premium gas. I started out using regular gas,but then discovered I could get another  8 mpg or so by using premium.

I have gotten as high as 54 mpg on highway trips.

I bought it because it was the cheapest new car I could find that I could get in and out of without hurting my back,and the lumbar seat support fits my back perfectly.

It was also the only Camry on the dealers lot,and it was being driven by the sales manager. Had close to 500 miles on it,which didn't bother me at all because if the sales manager had been driving it,ANYTHING that was "off specs" had been fixed.

Went to the Honda dealer first,and they had NO new cars on the lot. The salesman  told me "We expect to have 28 coming in some time this month,if you want to put your name on a list in case someone who ordered one backs out."

Went to the Nissan dealer next. All they had in new cars was a few of the mini-whatevers that I couldn't get into,and a super expensive sports car that I would have to have cut the top off of to even get in,and even then might  have needed a crane.

Plus it was black,and since I live up a dirt road,it is impossible to sell me a black car at any price.

Went to the Ford dealer next,and didn't even get out of the car. The smallest thing he had for sale on the lot was a 1 ton truck.

Went home because it was getting late and looked up  the Toyota dealer inventory on the web,and he had my dream truck. 4 cylinder Toyota pu with an extended (NOT crew ) cab,that was white with tan upholstery,aod trans,ps,pb,radio,and heater and regular tires and wheels. Was there the next morning at 9 am to buy it,and it had been sold the night before. The nearest thing they had to it was a black V-6 4X4 with close to 100k miles on it.

Looked around the dealer lot and it seemed like all they had in stock were the small ones I couldn't get into,and then the woman sales agent remembered the sales manager was driving a white Camry. I bought it despite it having black upholstery. The saving grace was it was black cloth that breathed,and not  black leather or vinyl.

BTW,I saw no need to buy anything bigger because I have a GMC 4X4 turbo diesel 3/4 ton pu parked in the yard if I need to haul something. Pretty much had to park it when the price of diesel fuel went through the roof,plus it is a bastard to try to park in a regular parking spot with the extended cab and the 8 foot bed,and my back is too bad now to park far away and then walk into where I need to go.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!