Author Topic: Chicago's Sanctuary City Awakening  (Read 108 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Chicago's Sanctuary City Awakening
« on: May 02, 2023, 12:59:15 pm »

The Wall Street Journal
Chicago's Sanctuary City Awakening
Opinion by The Editorial Board • Yesterday 6:39 PM

Posturing as a “sanctuary city” used to be fun when it meant resisting Donald Trump, but now the migrant crisis is everywhere. “We simply have no more shelters, spaces, or resources,” Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot says in a letter Sunday to Texas Gov. Greg Abbott. “Though I am sympathetic to the significant challenges that border cities face, this situation is completely untenable.”

And the scales fall. Since last summer, when Mr. Abbott began sending busloads of migrants Chicago way, “we have shouldered the responsibility of caring for more than 8,000 men, women, and children with no resources of their own,” Ms. Lightfoot says. That’s nothing next to El Paso, which this week declared a state of emergency, as it braces for the end of Title 42 pandemic expulsions. The El Paso Times cites estimates of about “10,000 to 12,000 migrants in Juárez,” waiting to cross into the U.S.

Chicago has heard that Texas will resume migrant busing on May 1. “The national immigration problem,” Ms. Lightfoot says, “will not be solved by passing on the responsibility to other cities.” But the burden of this humanitarian crisis shouldn’t fall only on border states, and the virtue of Mr. Abbott’s approach is in making progressives confront it.

The website for Ms. Lightfoot’s (failed) re-election campaign brags that she ended “police collaboration” with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, “terminated ICE access to citywide databases,” and signed an executive order so city benefits don’t depend on citizenship. America’s immigration problems won’t be fixed until Ms. Lightfoot’s Democratic Party awakens from this progressive daydream.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/chicago-s-sanctuary-city-awakening/ar-AA1aBMSx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4342e898d7ea4578a02e0306c392913a&ei=72
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Chicago's Sanctuary City Awakening
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 01:00:48 pm »
Too bad this won't result in a political realignment.