Author Topic: Defending a Mock Invasion of Taiwan Signals Shift for Army Special Operations After Years of Counter  (Read 77 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Defending a Mock Invasion of Taiwan Signals Shift for Army Special Operations After Years of Counterinsurgency

29 Apr 2023
Military.com | By Drew F. Lawrence

FORT BRAGG, North Carolina -- Members of the U.S. Army's Special Operations Command fired Carl Gustaf recoilless rifles, breached tunnels and operated Switchblade drones that flew with an unsettling whiz over a training area on Thursday. The exercise combined some of the hallmark tactics and weapons that were used during the Global War on Terror with other tools reflecting a seismic shift for the command as it prepares for potential conflict against major military rivals.

The training was part of the USASOC's annual capabilities exercise, or CAPEX, and the mission they were gaming out was an insertion into Taiwan to defend against a Chinese invasion.

It was the first-ever use of a Taiwan scenario for the exercise, with a concrete mock-up meant to represent that country. So instead of hovering eight thousand miles away in the South China Sea where the island actually is perched, the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment's Chinooks landed on Range 68 at Fort Bragg.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/04/29/defending-mock-invasion-of-taiwan-signals-shift-army-special-operations-after-years-of.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson