Author Topic: The Mexicanization of American Politics By Roger Kimball  (Read 190 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Mexicanization of American Politics By Roger Kimball
« on: April 30, 2023, 02:46:20 pm »
The Mexicanization of American Politics › American Greatness
Our public life today is a seething cauldron of animosities.

We see it everywhere in American politics. One army general gave voice to the fear in a memorable simile, worrying that the country might collapse like “Mexico and the Central American countries” unless something was done to tamp down partisan passions and encourage unity. His comment went viral, and soon people across the country were talking about, and deploring, the possible “Mexicanization of American politics.”

The governing question, as one distinguished historian put it, is whether “American politics [has] become permanently ‘Mexicanized’?” Another commentator, considering “the Mexicanization of institutions,” defined it as a toxic situation in which “all party contests have the character of civil war.”

We all know what they mean. And it is scant consolation, I believe, to note that the general to whom I refer was writing in 1877 or that “the distinguished historian” was C. Vann Woodward, writing about the 1876 election and its aftermath in his book Reunion and Reaction (1951).

more
https://amgreatness.com/2023/04/29/the-mexicanization-of-american-politics/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The Mexicanization of American Politics By Roger Kimball
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 01:11:00 am »
To most people history means yesterday.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley