Author Topic: Republican presidential candidate Asa Hutchinson responds to DeSantis' row with Disney, says it's 'n  (Read 4039 times)

Offline LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What bullcrap. Disney owning the members of its oversight board is the issue that needs remedy.

That may be.  But it's not what prompted the Governor's and statehouse's actions against Disney.   We know this because the governor admitted in his book, during speeches, at press conferences, etc. that the actions taken were in direct response to Disney's vocal, woke opposition to the  "Don't Say Gay" law.

This sure appears to be quintessential government retaliation in contradiction to First Amendment rights.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 09:50:31 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online roamer_1

In this particular case, I think those kind of lawsuits are unlikely.  However, I think there's a pretty good argument that if a corporation is receiving special favors and making political arguments, it can be argued that the state is actually subsidizing that speech.  True state neutrality towards free speech requires the elimination of any special treatment.

Certainly sounds right to me... Especially if you are another resort operating out of FL without special privileges...

Online roamer_1

That may be.  But it's not what prompted the Governor's and statehouse's actions against Disney.   We know this because the governor admitted in his book, during speeches, at press conferences, etc. that the actions taken were in direct response to Disney's vocal, woke opposition to the  "Don't Say Gay" law.

This sure appears to be quintessential government retaliation in contradiction to First Amendment rights.

No, not 'it may be'... It IS. And what prompted it don't mean shit to me. Whatever prompted this governor and this legislature to quit looking the other way is beside the point. What matters is that they are no longer looking the other way. And rightly.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

No, not 'it may be'... It IS. And what prompted it don't mean shit to me.

But it does to the law and the Supremes.

Online roamer_1

But it does to the law and the Supremes.

Don't really care - It is a state issue.

Offline Hoodat

The state's retaliation in response to a corporation's First Amendment rights is a no-no.  :nono:

Again, how was the First Amendment violated?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

What bullcrap. Disney owning the members of its oversight board is the issue that needs remedy. And that oversight board giving Disney total control in perpetuity with no grounds for the state is a travesty that will not stand, SCOTUS or not.

Correct.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

This sounds like some sort of left wing bullshit one would hear from MSNBC.  Oh wait, it is left wing bullshit that came from MSNBC:

DeSantis is wrong. Disney merely expressed a contrary opinion. And expressing that opinion is protected by the First Amendment. The governor’s campaign of retaliation for exercising that right in turn violates that law.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/desantis-disney-first-amendment-rights-unconstitutional-rcna81974

Is this you, Jazzhead?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-