General Category > Elections 2024

Republican presidential candidate Asa Hutchinson responds to DeSantis' row with Disney, says it's 'n

<< < (16/17) > >>

LMAO:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 02, 2023, 09:05:13 pm ---And that would be a good thing.

--- End quote ---

Yup

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on May 02, 2023, 07:01:51 pm ---What bullcrap. Disney owning the members of its oversight board is the issue that needs remedy.

--- End quote ---

That may be.  But it's not what prompted the Governor's and statehouse's actions against Disney.   We know this because the governor admitted in his book, during speeches, at press conferences, etc. that the actions taken were in direct response to Disney's vocal, woke opposition to the  "Don't Say Gay" law.

This sure appears to be quintessential government retaliation in contradiction to First Amendment rights.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on May 02, 2023, 09:04:15 pm ---In this particular case, I think those kind of lawsuits are unlikely.  However, I think there's a pretty good argument that if a corporation is receiving special favors and making political arguments, it can be argued that the state is actually subsidizing that speech.  True state neutrality towards free speech requires the elimination of any special treatment.

--- End quote ---

Certainly sounds right to me... Especially if you are another resort operating out of FL without special privileges...

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Right_in_Virginia on May 02, 2023, 09:47:37 pm ---That may be.  But it's not what prompted the Governor's and statehouse's actions against Disney.   We know this because the governor admitted in his book, during speeches, at press conferences, etc. that the actions taken were in direct response to Disney's vocal, woke opposition to the  "Don't Say Gay" law.

This sure appears to be quintessential government retaliation in contradiction to First Amendment rights.

--- End quote ---

No, not 'it may be'... It IS. And what prompted it don't mean shit to me. Whatever prompted this governor and this legislature to quit looking the other way is beside the point. What matters is that they are no longer looking the other way. And rightly.

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on May 02, 2023, 11:37:09 pm ---No, not 'it may be'... It IS. And what prompted it don't mean shit to me.

--- End quote ---

But it does to the law and the Supremes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version