General Category > Elections 2024

Republican presidential candidate Asa Hutchinson responds to DeSantis' row with Disney, says it's 'n

(1/17) > >>

libertybele:
Republican presidential candidate Asa Hutchinson responds to DeSantis' row with Disney, says it's 'not the role of government' to punish a business you disagree with

Asa Hutchinson, a Republican candidate for president, responded to Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' spat with Disney on Sunday, saying it's "not the role of government" to punish a business with which one disagrees.

During an interview on CNN's "State of the Union," host Dana Bash asked Hutchinson about his stance on fellow Republicans "using the government to change social policy and wage culture wars?"

"I don't like what Disney said about the legislation that I would have supported in Florida, but it's not the role of government to punish a business when you disagree with what they're saying or a position that they take," Hutchinson said.

Disney publicly criticized DeSantis' so-called "Don't Say Gay" bill, which he signed into law last March. It prevents teachers in kindergarten to third grade from holding classroom discussions about sexual orientation and gender identity.

In retaliation, DeSantis threatened changes to Disney's special tax district. Disney filed a lawsuit last week against DeSantis — who is expected to announce his own White House bid — claiming that the governor's ongoing actions against Disney violate its Constitutional rights......................

https://www.businessinsider.com/asa-hutchinson-responds-to-desantis-and-disney-feud-2023-4

Right_in_Virginia:

--- Quote ---....says it's 'not the role of government' to punish a business you disagree with
--- End quote ---

Wasn't this once a cornerstone "conservative" principle?

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Right_in_Virginia on April 30, 2023, 09:25:24 pm ---Wasn't this once a cornerstone "conservative" principle?

--- End quote ---

No. But when the 'punishment' is simply taking away privileges previously awarded that business, not awarded equally to other businesses, the point is moot.

That privilege was awarded to a family friendly, wholesome company... Which it is no more.

cato potatoe:
Hutchinson is a loser.   If Walmart started pushing Arkansas to sell castration to its schoolchildren, the state would be within its rights to remove any welfare granted to the company. 

LMAO:
From the article...
"I don't like what Disney said about the legislation that I would have supported in Florida, but it's not the role of government to punish a business when you disagree with what they're saying or a position that they take," Hutchinson said.

We need to be careful with this. I prefer a Disney boycott from the people vs government intervention. I am always suspicious of government overreach and setting bad precedent that could come back to haunt us

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version