Author Topic: FBI: We're not spying on nearly as many Americans as we did last year.. Jazz Shaw  (Read 135 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
FBI: We're not spying on nearly as many Americans as we did last year
Jazz Shaw 4:01 PM on April 29, 2023

Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) authorizes the federal government to investigate non-US citizens abroad in the interest of gathering foreign intelligence. But if the investigation puts them on the trail of a citizen, they are supposed to turn the case over to the FBI. This is a system that’s been around for a while (FISA was enacted in 1978 at the height of the cold war) and it seemed as if it worked pretty well. Of course, that was before we learned of all of the skullduggery and political interference the FBI has been up to recently.

In any event, the FBI has been investigating a lot of Americans under this pretext lately. Between December 2020 and November 2021, the FBI “queried” the names of U.S. citizens nearly 3.4 million times. But the ODNI’s most recent transparency report this week showed that during the same period ending in November 2022, the number of queries plunged to 204,000, a drop of 94%. I suppose they might deserve a cookie for that, but it doesn’t answer the question of why they were going after so many American prior to this. (Fox News)

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) said there was a “significant decline” in the total number of queries the FBI made into U.S. citizens between 2021 and 2022 under Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

ODNI on Friday issued its annual transparency report on the intelligence community’s use of national security surveillance authorities. The report also outlined the rules designed to “protect civil liberties and privacy and ensure complicate with the Constitution and laws of the United States.”

more
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2023/04/29/fbi-were-not-spying-on-nearly-as-many-americans-as-we-did-last-year-n547187
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Are we supposed to somehow be consoled by that? Assuming we believe it. Which I do not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien