Author Topic: Are Heat Pumps Cheaper To Run? Don’t Believe Octopus!  (Read 970 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are Heat Pumps Cheaper To Run? Don’t Believe Octopus!
« on: April 28, 2023, 10:55:06 am »
Are Heat Pumps Cheaper To Run? Don’t Believe Octopus!
APRIL 27, 2023

By Paul Homewood

Don’t believe the lies from Octopus Energy:

https://octopus.energy/blog/heat-pump-running-cost/

Let’s see how they have tricked you.

Their electricity consumption for a heat pump is based on an efficiency rating of 333%. In other words, you will get 333 KWh of heat from 100 KWh of electricity.

But this is a wildly optimistic figure, unless you have ultra high levels of insulation and live in the mildest part of the country.

According to The Eco-Experts website, who themselves are devoted to pushing heat pump technology, the best you can expect is 300% efficiency, and many people will get much worse. And as they say, this means you will actually end up paying more in running costs for a heat pump, not less.

Using Octopus’ prices, with 300% efficiency, we get:

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/04/27/are-heat-pumps-cheaper-to-run-dont-believe-octopus/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Are Heat Pumps Cheaper To Run? Don’t Believe Octopus!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 12:21:41 pm »
Generally?  No.  From personal experience.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 12:35:17 pm »
Do they also calculate the energy usage of the heat pump to cool the house in the late spring, summer, and early fall?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 12:17:15 am »
Do they also calculate the energy usage of the heat pump to cool the house in the late spring, summer, and early fall?

We have a heat pump and we love it. Mitsubishi brands are near the top of the line. What I like though is it's the same unit you cool your house with. There are a few night out of the year it is too cold to use it. You don't want your pipes to freeze.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 12:39:51 am »
They work fine (and cheap) for cooling up in here... But you'd better have an alternative when it is below zero.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 12:45:27 am »
They work fine (and cheap) for cooling up in here... But you'd better have an alternative when it is below zero.

We have a heat pump and it cools just fine.  We keep our thermostat set at 78. Once in a great while in the winter if temps drop down to around 70 in the house we'll use it to heat the house to around 73.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 12:46:31 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 08:27:53 pm »

We had a night in feb where it got down to negative 15. We turned on our baseboard units as well.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 10:07:28 pm »
bele wrote:
"Once in a great while in the winter if temps drop down to around 70 in the house we'll use it to heat"...

Huh?
I don't get it.
Why would someone want to "heat" a house that's at 70 degrees?

Weird wrote:
"We have a heat pump and we love it... There are a few night out of the year it is too cold to use it. You don't want your pipes to freeze."

Well, what supplementary heat do you use when the temperature outside drops too low for the heat pump to work?
Hmmm... electric baseboard?  Doesn't that get expensive quickly?

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 10:31:35 pm »
bele wrote:
"Once in a great while in the winter if temps drop down to around 70 in the house we'll use it to heat"...

Huh?
I don't get it.
Why would someone want to "heat" a house that's at 70 degrees?

Weird wrote:
"We have a heat pump and we love it... There are a few night out of the year it is too cold to use it. You don't want your pipes to freeze."

Well, what supplementary heat do you use when the temperature outside drops too low for the heat pump to work?
Hmmm... electric baseboard?  Doesn't that get expensive quickly?

This past winter it happened once only, when the temps were -15 F.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2023, 04:52:19 am »
They're very common in the deserts of AZ.  It doesn't get cold with the annual low in the low 30s.  They work well when its 122.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 05:03:16 am »
Ours works fine to cool the house, it is heating you have to watch out for... to heat after it gets close to freezing it kicks in "emergency heating" which means it runs some electric cords that eat the dog out of electricity and still does not keep up with heating the house.

Thus why we just use our wood heater instead of using the expensive electric coil heating of the heat pump.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 02:23:32 pm »
Ours works fine to cool the house, it is heating you have to watch out for... to heat after it gets close to freezing it kicks in "emergency heating" which means it runs some electric cords that eat the dog out of electricity and still does not keep up with heating the house.

Thus why we just use our wood heater instead of using the expensive electric coil heating of the heat pump.

I should mention we also have a pellet stove. Frankly if I could use that stove to heat the whole house, I would.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2023, 02:28:21 pm »
They're very common in the deserts of AZ.  It doesn't get cold with the annual low in the low 30s.  They work well when its 122.

They work not at all when the temperature outside is below freezing. (Very difficult to pump heat when there is none.)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 02:53:56 pm »

To be fair, my kid is building a house right now, and he is going to be using a heat pump. His is a true HP/Electric furnace - Not merely a helper element, but a serious furnace that it kicks over to when the HP ain't keeping up anymore.

Now, I would not want to rely on an electric furnace in the winter up in here... which is likely the second most expensive mode of heat possible (the first being electric baseboard), but while he will be paying through the nose for the few weeks of subzero temps, the efficiency otherwise from the heat pump should more than offset the cost. We will see. His house and mine are only off by 25 ft2, so my wood/nat gas setup (with portable air conditioner) vs. his hp/electric should be pretty comparable.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 02:55:03 pm by roamer_1 »

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2023, 06:44:09 pm »
They work not at all when the temperature outside is below freezing. (Very difficult to pump heat when there is none.)

Sorry but you don’t know what you’re talking about. Heat pumps are reverse air conditioners. Mitsubishi units work below zero.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2023, 06:49:32 pm »
Sorry but you don’t know what you’re talking about. Heat pumps are reverse air conditioners. Mitsubishi units work below zero.

I know exactly what a heat pump is and how they work.  I stand by what I said 100%. A geothermal heat pump is FAR superior to a simple heat pump but is FAR more expensive to install.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 06:54:28 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 06:49:49 pm »
To be fair, my kid is building a house right now, and he is going to be using a heat pump. His is a true HP/Electric furnace - Not merely a helper element, but a serious furnace that it kicks over to when the HP ain't keeping up anymore.

Now, I would not want to rely on an electric furnace in the winter up in here... which is likely the second most expensive mode of heat possible (the first being electric baseboard), but while he will be paying through the nose for the few weeks of subzero temps, the efficiency otherwise from the heat pump should more than offset the cost. We will see. His house and mine are only off by 25 ft2, so my wood/nat gas setup (with portable air conditioner) vs. his hp/electric should be pretty comparable.

One advantage of heat pumps over baseboard is no ozone smell.

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 06:50:43 pm »
I know exactly what a heat pump is and how they work.  I stand by what I said 100%.

We used ours here all winter. In New Hampshire.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2023, 06:51:12 pm »

Yes, but with reducing efficiency the colder it goes. The last one I was around rated 25% efficiency at -15 or so IIRC. Which is nearly negligible performance... Not that it mattered, because my friend used wood to heat in the winter.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2023, 07:12:40 pm »
We used ours here all winter. In New Hampshire.

And you likely paid dearly to do that UNLESS you have a geothermal unit.
There are a couple of heat pumps types on the market. Most of the inexpensive ones will have a Resistance type heat strip built in for when it gets cold outside.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/heat-pump.htm
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 07:33:32 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien