Author Topic: Florida Legislature Clears Way for DeSantis to Run for President Without Resigning  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Florida’s Republican-led Legislature has approved a bill clarifying that Gov. Ron DeSantis may run for president in 2024 while keeping his current position.

In a party-line vote of 76-34 on Friday, the Florida House approved an amended version of SB 7050, which includes a provision that explicitly exempts anyone running for president or vice president from the existing “resign-to-run” requirements.

The bill has already passed Florida Senate by a vote of 28-12 and now heads to the governor’s desk for his signature.

“Any person seeking the office of president or vice president of the United States is not subject to the requirements of [Florida election law], which govern candidate qualifying, specifically those which require the submission of certain documents, full and public disclosures of financial interests, petition signatures, or the payment of filing fees,” the bill reads. “This section shall take effect upon this act becoming a law.”

https://www.ntd.com/florida-legislature-clears-way-for-desantis-to-run-for-president-without-resigning_916335.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Good, this was coming for awhile. 

We'll see if DeSantis indeed intends to run.  If he does, I hope he waits till the very last minute to make that announcement.  It will eliminate some of the mudslinging and ridiculous accusations and bullying that Trump will certainly throw at him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Good, this was coming for awhile. 

We'll see if DeSantis indeed intends to run.  If he does, I hope he waits till the very last minute to make that announcement.  It will eliminate some of the mudslinging and ridiculous accusations and bullying that Trump will certainly throw at him.

:thumbsup:

Meanwhile, Trump will continue to let his paranoia get the best of him, and continue to say and do stupid, liberal, things.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I hope and pray that  RDS can fend off the Trump/Stone/Pecker slime machine that was so effectively employed in '16.

If there is anything that Trump is good at, is destroying an opponent whether it is in business or politics by lies and innuendo. 

How bad is Trump?  Cruz was almost beat in '18, after the Lyin' Ted meme was so effectiely smeared, and applied.  It sticks even today at havens of Orange whackos like TOS.

Trump is human excrement.  No vote from me.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Any person seeking the office of president or vice president of the United States is not subject to the requirements of Florida election law

Any state officeholder seeking the office of US Representative or US Senator still must resign to run.

This DeSantis guy sure has a hefty sense of entitlement.  Buyer beware.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Any state officeholder seeking the office of US Representative or US Senator still must resign to run.

This coming from the head cheerleader of the king of entitlement :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline Kamaji

/snicker

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with the considered judgment - by the people of Florida, as expressed through their elected representatives - that the governor of Florida should be permitted to stand for another office as a candidate without having to immediately resign as governor.

That is an entirely reasonable conclusion that was arrived at through the representative process.

It is a far, far cry from Trump's painfully obvious sense of entitlement, given that to all appearances he believes that he should be handed the GOP nomination - and perhaps the presidency itself - by acclamation.

The only one suffering from an overwhelming sense of entitlement is Trump, and woe indeed unto us if we as a country are stupid enough to entrust the presidency to him a second time.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Sniff, sniff - I smell fear. Even Trump's own people know Trump is scared of RDS.
The Republic is lost.

This coming from the head cheerleader of the king of entitlement

Are you capable of discussing DeSantis without running to your opinion of Trump ---- ever?

Offline libertybele

/snicker

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with the considered judgment - by the people of Florida, as expressed through their elected representatives - that the governor of Florida should be permitted to stand for another office as a candidate without having to immediately resign as governor.

That is an entirely reasonable conclusion that was arrived at through the representative process.

It is a far, far cry from Trump's painfully obvious sense of entitlement, given that to all appearances he believes that he should be handed the GOP nomination - and perhaps the presidency itself - by acclamation.

The only one suffering from an overwhelming sense of entitlement is Trump, and woe indeed unto us if we as a country are stupid enough to entrust the presidency to him a second time.

goopo :thumbsup:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

It has nothing to do with entitlement and everything to do with the considered judgment -

Bullshit.

DeSantis asked for and will sign a carve out law protecting his, and only his, personal political interest and personal financial security.

This law serves only DeSantis's privilege and special treatment ------ the very essence of entitlement.

cc:  @libertybele

« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:05:30 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline libertybele

Bullshit.

DeSantis asked for and will sign a carve out law protecting his, and only his, personal political interest and personal financial security.

This law serves only DeSantis's privilege and special treatment ------ the very essence of entitlement.

....and you would have us believe the State of Florida is the only state that has done this ????  Do you think that other governors, senators, etc., haven't done this??? 

DeSantis does have the advantage of a mostly conservative legislature.  :shrug:

:silly:

I'm beginning to think that DeSantis now has an efficiency apartment in your head 24/7.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:10:03 pm by libertybele »

....and you would have us believe the State of Florida is the only state that has done this ???? 

:silly:

libertybele

Are you saying "conservatives" support special entitlements for selected officeholders?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Bullshit.

You suck at the Ironing.  The very essence of the Orange Baboons existence is entitlement and privilege.  He likes to grab pu$$y, rape women, and get away with it.  Trump is Hunter Biden without the Meth.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:34:33 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

libertybele

Are you saying "conservatives" support special entitlements for selected officeholders?

Nowhere in my posts did I ever say that.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Bullshit.

A minimum of research tells me only five states have run to resign laws. Florida being one. They changed their law in 2018 and now they are changing it back.

FWIW, don't look at it as an entitlement for DeSantis. Look at it as a safety net for him when Trump hands him ass (if he runs).
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Don't worry.  RiV is a Trump seagull sycophant.  Swoops in. Shits all over the DeSantis posts. Lets the mods clean the mess she creates.  Flys away.   A True Trumpdividian
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

The very essence of the Orange Baboons existence is entitlement and privilege. 

What law did President Trump sign that was designed to only protect his personal political interest and only his personal financial security; serving only his privilege and special interest?   (The essence of entitlement)

I asked you a  question @libertybele ---- to clarify.  Here's the question again: Are you saying "conservatives" support special entitlements for selected officeholders?

Don't worry.  RiV is a Trump seagull sycophant.  A True Trumpdividian

Feel better?   :laugh:

Offline libertybele

I asked you a  question @libertybele ---- to clarify.  Here's the question again: Are you saying "conservatives" support special entitlements for selected officeholders?

No, I did not say that.

So ... while we're on the matter of questions ... and I believe it's now the 4th time I have asked, are you ok with Rams being president when neither of his parents were born in this country?

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Are you capable of discussing DeSantis without running to your opinion of Trump ---- ever?
I simply take my cue from you, sorry I didn't use an emoji :silly: And remember you can always put me on Ignore. Truthfully I don't put you on ignore because of all your other wonderful posts, but I am seriously put off by your almost religious worship of Trump, you refuse to acknowledge the stupid things he says or does which makes and only.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 08:07:11 am by GtHawk »

Offline Kamaji

Bullshit.

Bullshit right back at you, you pathetic shill. 

Did the people of the State of Florida, through their duly elected representatives, agree that it was a reasonable thing to do?

Yes or no. It’s a very simple question. Can you answer it?  Until you do, STFU and keep your head wedged firmly up Trump’s fat lazy a$$.

Bullshit right back at you, you pathetic shill. 

Did the people of the State of Florida, through their duly elected representatives, agree that it was a reasonable thing to do?

Yes or no. It’s a very simple question. Can you answer it?  Until you do, STFU and keep your head wedged firmly up Trump’s fat lazy a$$.

Was allowing the governor to turn the state government into his personal playround on the ballot @Kamaji ?

If the answer isn't "yes",  I suggest *you* STFU and stop trying to defend the indefensible.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:06:24 pm by Right_in_Virginia »