Author Topic: PNG climate change officials accused of skimming $2 million in public funds  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
PNG climate change officials accused of skimming $2 million in public funds

Exclusive by PNG correspondent Tim Swanston, Stephen Long and Theckla Gunga
Posted 15h ago

Senior staff at the government body responsible for carrying out Papua New Guinea's climate change response are facing major criminal proceedings after the alleged misappropriation of more than $2 million.

Key points:
Staff at PNG's Climate Change and Development Authority have been accused of corruption and misappropriation of public funds
Finance manager Ivan Aipi faces 35 charges, including illegally executing cheques for the benefit of his boss and associates
The ABC understands two whistleblowers raised concerns with authorities last year

Police have arrested and charged Climate Change and Development Authority (CCDA)'s finance manager, Ivan Aipi, after armed officers raided the authority's Port Moresby premises earlier this year, seizing computers and financial records.

Court documents also allege that Mr Aipi's wife, a court magistrate, attempted to bribe an investigating police officer, later allegedly apologising through her clerk and claiming her "husband is spoiling her reputation".

The allegations against CCDA staff include official corruption and misappropriation of public funds, and "illegally executing" cheques for the benefit of CCDA's acting managing director William Lakain and his associates.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-28/png-national-climate-change-officers-accused-of-skimming-funds/102230786
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They are supposed to make grants to NGOs where relatives sit on the board of directors pulling down huge salaries.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis