Author Topic: I Was General Counsel of the N.S.A. America Has a Problem With Secrets.  (Read 221 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I Was General Counsel of the N.S.A. America Has a Problem With Secrets.
April 24, 2023

By Glenn S. Gerstell

Sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter  Get expert analysis of the news and a guide to the big ideas shaping the world every weekday morning. Get it sent to your inbox.
America’s secrets aren’t sufficiently protected. The recent posting of apparently classified government documents to internet chat rooms allegedly by the Air National Guardsman Jack Teixeira reminds us that intelligence reporting is subject to a dilemma: Either we clamp down to prevent leaks, or we share information broadly within government to prevent harm to our nation and our troops.

There is a way out of this predicament, but it entails fundamental and expensive changes.

The first step in this effort will require us to admit that we aren’t investing the right way in preventing leaks. This isn’t any one administration’s failure. When Congress allocates funds to spy agencies, they are more likely to spend them on new spying techniques that might produce richer intelligence, rather than on protective measures that lower the risk of compromise.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/24/opinion/intelligence-leaks-us.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
" America Has a Problem With Secrets"

Well, that's no secret!

DC leaks like a colander.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online The_Reader_David

Anyone who was General Counsel to the NSA and did not tell them to stop violating the Fourth Amendment (and either got them to actually stop, or resigned in protest when they didn't) should not be listened to on any matter.  Such a person should be held in contempt for violating their oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and sneered at as a tool of unaccountable bureaucrats (or of "the Deep State", if you like the Turkish short-hand for the fact that bureaucrats, esp. in the security services, act in their own guild interests against the interests of the elected government they in theory serve and even more often against the interest of the citizenry).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.