Author Topic: People Need to ‘Accept’ Being Poorer Amid Inflation, Says Central Banker  (Read 725 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
People Need to ‘Accept’ Being Poorer Amid Inflation, Says Central Banker

Kurt Zindulka 27 Apr 2023

The public should just “accept that they’re worse off” than they were a year ago amid rampant inflation, an ivory tower Bank of England boss said this week.

Huw Pill, the chief economist for the UK’s central bank, said that people should not seek salary increases to cope with the soaring inflation, which the Bank of England predicted would be a “temporary” phenomenon in August of 2021, yet, inflation remains in double digits in Britain nearly two years later.

In a ‘let them eat cake’ moment, Pill, who reportedly earns a salary of £190,000 per year, said that rather than demanding pay increases commeserate with the rise in cost of living, the central banker said that people should just “accept that they’re worse off”  condeming the “reluctance” of families to come to grips with the impacts of inflation on their way of life.

The central banker argued that if people continue to ask for pay hikes, it will have a ripple impact of increasing prices across the board.

“If the cost of what you’re buying has gone up compared to what you’re selling, you’re going to be worse off,” Pill said in comments reported by The Times.

“So, somehow in the UK, someone needs to accept that they’re worse off and stop trying to maintain their real spending power by bidding up prices whether through higher wages or passing energy costs on to customers.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/04/27/people-need-to-accept-being-poorer-amid-inflation-says-central-banker/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Why should we accept it?  It was the fault of the various governments in power, and correcting it so things don't get worse, and the economy can begin to recover, will require political means to force the various governments to change their inflationary policies.

That's like telling a mugging victim they should just accept that they were mugged and accept that muggings are "normal" and will continue to make all of us poorer.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

Sometimes short and to the point sends the best message @Bigun . And I totally agree.

Online mountaineer

No, I won't accept having my financial resources stolen from me, nitwit.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

@Bigun In keeping with the premise of the article I believe a more fitting response is

Offline Hoodat

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that Huw Pill is not one of those who is worse off.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

From the article….

The central banker argued that if people continue to ask for pay hikes, it will have a ripple impact of increasing prices across the board.

He is right. But it’s very arrogant for him to lecture people, and demand that they should accept a lower standard  of living while he does very well himself financially.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy