Author Topic: Assembly Dems block bill to rename Mario M. Cuomo Bridge to the beloved ‘Tappan Zee Bridge’  (Read 460 times)

Offline Kamaji

Assembly Dems block bill to rename Mario M. Cuomo Bridge to the beloved ‘Tappan Zee Bridge’

By Zach Williams
April 25, 2023

ALBANY – A bipartisan bill to rename the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge the Tappan Zee Bridge bit the dust in the state Assembly on Tuesday.

“I am disappointed that the bill did not make it out of committee,” Assemblyman John McGowan (R-Rockland) told The Post after Transportation Committee Democrats voted to hold the bill.

The vote marks the second time in two years that Assembly Democrats have blocked the legislation — despite the apparent popularity of ditching the Cuomo name.

Disgraced ex-Gov. Andrew Cuomo reportedly strong-armed state lawmakers in 2017 into naming the new trans-Hudson River bridge replacing the beloved Tappan Zee after his father, a liberal lion who served three terms as governor in the 1980s and 1990s.

“The residents of Rockland did not have an opportunity to weigh in when the bridge was renamed initially and again, have been denied the opportunity to allow a full debate on the floor of the Assembly,” McGowan lamented Tuesday.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/25/assembly-dems-block-bill-to-restore-tappan-zee-bridge-name/

Offline Kamaji

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Ran a lot of freight trains under the original Tappan Zee Bridge, and drove over it enough times, as well.

I've never been over the new one.
Probably never will.

Online andy58-in-nh

Changing the names of streets and landmarks for purely political reasons is never truly popular.

Even in New York City, people refer to 6th Avenue, not "Avenue of the Americas". Whaddaya, kiddin' me? You from outta town?

My family members in that area still refer to the bridge as the "Tappan Zee".

Even if it's sentimental, it rarely sticks: in Florida, "Cape Kennedy" reverted back to Cape Canaveral within a couple of decades.

In time, Leningrad once again became St. Petersburg.

Older people who live in "Ho Chi Minh City" still call it Saigon. In private, of course.

I'm hoping that Istanbul will one day be called "Constantinople" again. But for the past 570 years or so... that's too dangerous.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The eyesore that is the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge is not worthy of being named, Tappan Zee Bridge.

The Tappen Zee Bridge was a post-war utilitarian bridge, with great views of the Tappan Zee.

The Mario M. Cuomo Bridge is a contemporary post-modern civil engineering abomination.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Changing the names of streets and landmarks for purely political reasons is never truly popular.

Even in New York City, people refer to 6th Avenue, not "Avenue of the Americas". Whaddaya, kiddin' me? You from outta town?

My family members in that area still refer to the bridge as the "Tappan Zee".

Even if it's sentimental, it rarely sticks: in Florida, "Cape Kennedy" reverted back to Cape Canaveral within a couple of decades.

In time, Leningrad once again became St. Petersburg.

Older people who live in "Ho Chi Minh City" still call it Saigon. In private, of course.

I'm hoping that Istanbul will one day be called "Constantinople" again. But for the past 570 years or so... that's too dangerous.

It'll always be the Tappan Zee to me.