Author Topic: Sixth Circuit Panel Rejects Bump Stock Ban (Again)  (Read 818 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Sixth Circuit Panel Rejects Bump Stock Ban (Again)
« on: April 26, 2023, 11:19:27 pm »
Reason by Jonathan H. Adler 4/25/2023

A three-judge panel concludes that bump stocks cannot be considered machine gun parts under the rule of lenity.

Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit decided Hardin v. BATF, concluding that a bump stock is not a machine gun "part" prohibited under federal law. Judge Gilman wrote for the court, joined by Judge McKeague. Judge Bush concurred in the judgment.

Here's how Judge GIlman summarizes the court's conclusions:

The placement of a bump stock on a semiautomatic rifle causes the rifle to function essentially like a machinegun by dramatically increasing the rate of fire. And the possession of a machinegun is a criminal offense under the Gun Control Act of 1968. This raises the question of whether a bump stock is a machinegun "part" as defined by the National Firearms Act of 1934. The question is a close one on which reasonable jurists have disagreed, a disagreement caused by ambiguities in how the applicable statute defines the term "machinegun."

More: https://reason.com/volokh/2023/04/25/sixth-circuit-panel-rejects-bump-stock-ban-again/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Sixth Circuit Panel Rejects Bump Stock Ban (Again)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:39:48 pm »
Good.

Offline verga

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 01:07:45 pm »
Good on them
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 06:21:58 am »
The underground market is being flooded by cheap Glock Switches which the gang world has gobbled up. Time to stop banning good Americans that just want to keep up with the rest of world around them and be able to defend themselves fairly. Why should police be able to buy anything they want and the rest of us be taxed out the yahoo to keep up appearances. I want to be able to purchase a silencer so I too can defend my home life without going deaf... I would love to shoot at a range without annoying hearing protection.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 06:22:59 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....