Author Topic: The U.S. Army Won’t Buy Anymore Switchblade 300 Kamikaze Drones  (Read 288 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The U.S. Army Won’t Buy Anymore Switchblade 300 Kamikaze Drones

A U.S. Army spokesperson would not comment on whether the program was being terminated, telling us only that “The Lethal Miniature Aerial Missile System (LMAMS) has satisfied the Department of Defense fielding and replenishment requirements” and declined to make further comment.

ByDavid HamblingPublished13 hours ago

In a surprise move, the U.S. Army has decided not to buy more Switchblade 300 kamikaze drones.

The DoD has supplied over 700 of the portable loitering munitions to Ukraine from existing stocks. This would normally lead to an increased annual purchase in this year’s Army budget for LMAMS (Lethal Miniature Aerial Missile System), which the Switchblade falls under, to make up for the munitions transferred shortfall.

Instead, the Army’s recent Missiles Procurement budget  states that “LMAMS has no FY 2024 funding.”

The Army acquired 900 Switchblade 300s in the 2022 budget and 525 in 2023. They were bought at a similar rate in previous years – dating back to its introduction in 2012 – so the sudden end looks like a change.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/04/the-u-s-army-wont-buy-anymore-switchblade-300-kamikaze-drones/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 02:45:31 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The U.S. Army Won’t Buy Anymore Switchblade 300 Kamikaze Drones
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 02:47:30 pm »
I guess there is no purpose in keeping highly effective weapons in our arsenal.  They may provide too much power for a woke military! :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: The U.S. Army Won’t Buy Anymore Switchblade 300 Kamikaze Drones
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 03:26:44 pm »
It's likely that there is a newer version in the wings, with a different identifying number.