Author Topic: Disney sues DeSantis, alleging harm to its business  (Read 945 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Disney sues DeSantis, alleging harm to its business
« on: April 26, 2023, 07:02:38 pm »
 Disney sues DeSantis, alleging harm to its business
by Jared Gans - 04/26/23 12:15 PM ET

The Walt Disney Company is suing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and other state officials, alleging that DeSantis is harming the company’s business operations.

The lawsuit comes after months of Disney and DeSantis sparring over legislation that DeSantis has signed and steps the governor has taken to increase the state’s control over Disney.

“A targeted campaign of government retaliation—orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney’s protected speech—now threatens Disney’s business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights,” the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit comes after the board that DeSantis appointed to oversee Disney voted Wednesday to void development contracts that Disney made.

Disney said in its complaint that the action from the board was the “latest strike” leading to the lawsuit.

DeSantis signed legislation at the end of February to end Disney’s power over the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the 25,000 acres that Disney has owned and self-governed for decades. The law allowed DeSantis to appoint a board consisting of five members to govern the district.

The move came after Disney openly criticized Florida’s Parental Rights in Education law, dubbed the “Don’t Say Gay” bill by opponents. The law places restrictions on the discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity in public school classes from kindergarten to 12th grade.

Disney said it would work to repeal the law and vowed to “stand up for the rights and safety” for the LGBTQ community.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3972939-disney-sues-desantis-alleging-harm-to-its-business/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: Disney sues DeSantis, alleging harm to its business
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 07:13:54 pm »
Disney is doing just about everything to keep me from bringing the grandkids to vacation there. We’d love to take each individually, but apparently Disney doesn’t want “my kind”. Conservative, straight, grandparenty types.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 07:16:57 pm »
Disney is doing just about everything to keep me from bringing the grandkids to vacation there. We’d love to take each individually, but apparently Disney doesn’t want “my kind”. Conservative, straight, grandparenty types.

Unfortunately, that happened long ago in my case.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 08:01:30 pm »
Federal judge shopping?  They must have realized their land use agreement was doomed, especially after the new board proved it had been drafted by Disney attorneys.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 11:19:07 pm »

And I bet you’re also one of those Christians that believe in two biological sexes that Disney doesn’t want. wink777
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 11:30:36 pm »
We'll see how this goes.  They could always move if they don't like it here.  *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 11:53:08 pm »
Disney Files First Amendment Lawsuit Against Ron DeSantis Over Florida Theme Park Takeover
Variety, Apr 26, 2023

The Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday filed a First Amendment lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for orchestrating a “campaign of government retaliation” for the company’s opposition to the “Don’t Say Gay” legislation.

The lawsuit marks an escalation in the yearlong battle between DeSantis and Disney, and comes as the governor’s allies are engaged in renewed efforts to assert control over Disney’s Orlando theme parks.

Disney filed the suit in federal court in Florida. It asks a judge to declare that the state takeover of the Reedy Creek Improvement District is “unlawful and unenforceable” because the purpose was “retaliation for Disney’s political speech in violation of the First Amendment.”

In the lawsuit, Disney said it regretted that it could not reach a resolution with the governor and had to go to court.

“Disney finds itself in this regrettable position because it expressed a viewpoint the Governor and his allies did not like. Disney wishes that things could have been resolved a different way,” the lawsuit states. “But Disney also knows that it is fortunate to have the resources to take a stand against the State’s retaliation—a stand smaller businesses and individuals might not be able to take when the State comes after them for expressing their own views. In America, the government cannot punish you for speaking your mind.”

In response, DeSantis’ spokesperson said that Disney is seeking to “undermine the will of the Florida voters.”

The suit also quotes DeSantis’ recent comments in which he mused about further potential retaliatory steps, including taxes on Disney’s hotels, tolls on the roads, and building a state prison adjacent to the Disney parks.

“Who knows?” the governor said. “I just think the possibilities are endless.”

"Disney has never wanted a fight with the Florida government,” the lawsuit states. “The Company sought to de-escalate the matter for nearly a year, trying several times to spark a productive dialogue with the DeSantis Administration. To no avail.”

Disney plans to invest $17 billion in Walt Disney World over the next decade, which the company said will generate 13,000 jobs. The lawsuit defends Disney’s decision, in January, to implement its comprehensive plan by entering into the contracts with the Disney-controlled Reedy Creek board.

The suit argues that the contracts were not a surprise, because they were publicly noticed, and do not undermine the authority of the new board. The new board still has power over building permits, taxes, roads, bonds and eminent domain, the suit states.

The suit asks the court to uphold the contracts, and overturn the new board’s effort to void them as an unlawful taking and a violation of the Constitution’s contracts clause.

The state Senate is also considering a bill that would give state regulators the power to regulate Disney’s monorails.

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/disney-ron-desantis-lawsuit-1235595373/

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 12:29:53 am »
And I bet you’re also one of those Christians that believe in two biological sexes that Disney doesn’t want. wink777

You guessed correctly.
I remember, back in the day, when we took our 2 kids to DisneyWorld to see the “Night of Joy”. It was an evening-long Christian concert with many different popular bands. They even closed the Park to the public. I believe we went two years.
That was the old DisneyWorld.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 12:31:27 am »
Disney went political and once they entered that sphere they are fair game.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 01:03:47 am »
You guessed correctly.
I remember, back in the day, when we took our 2 kids to DisneyWorld to see the “Night of Joy”. It was an evening-long Christian concert with many different popular bands. They even closed the Park to the public. I believe we went two years.
That was the old DisneyWorld.

It is amazing and disheartening how things have changed. Sad.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 05:48:53 am »

This is how Disney is best handled, IMO.  A national, grassroots campaign calling not only to boycott Disney,  but also advertising the family-friendly parks to replace them is needed.

It worked with Bud Light ---- and rather quickly.  happy77

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2023, 12:18:17 pm »
This is how Disney is best handled, IMO.  A national, grassroots campaign calling not only to boycott Disney,  but also advertising the family-friendly parks to replace them is needed.

Agree
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2023, 12:22:38 pm »

Agreed.  And the fact is, for a lot of kids, there are any number of smaller parks out there that are more low-key and more suited to them - and easier on the parents' wallets, too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2023, 12:24:58 pm »
You gotta do your homework when working this Disney boycott. It's  tough buying grandkid stuff, and avoiding it when you realize how wide the scope of their business is. I mean, Disney, Pixar, etc..... 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.