Author Topic: Why is Trump afraid to debate?  (Read 1036 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Why is Trump afraid to debate?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2023, 07:42:10 pm »
... Which is often the case... at least in the (two or) three moderators. How they are determined may not be that cut and dried.

That's kind of the point, though.  Each side has to have a moderator they selected who shouldbe biased towards the candidate that selected them.

That ensure that both candidates get asked tough questions.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2023, 07:54:59 pm »
That's kind of the point, though.  Each side has to have a moderator they selected who shouldbe biased towards the candidate that selected them.

That ensure that both candidates get asked tough questions.

That would be unworkable though in a field of say 10 candidates, any six of which might make it to the debate.

Better for everyone to agree (or majority by vote) on moderators that are universally thought to be both tough and fair-minded... which I believe is the functional norm in primary debates. Or something close to that effect.

That the moderator(s) bags on one, or certain ones, is a show of bad journalism, to be sure, and certainly unfair. But outside of avoiding that moderator in the future, I really don't see how that can be changed without the quality of journalism rising by an order of magnitude - Which is really the problem at hand.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2023, 08:19:43 pm »
Right.  That's why I said upfront it only works in a 1 on 1 debate.  But the Presidential debates have always been the ones with the worst bias.  Primaries usually aren't bad.  That's why Trump whining about "unfair" primary debates is so bogus.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:21:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2023, 08:25:27 pm »
Right.  That's why I said upfront it only works in a 1 on 1 debate.  But the Presidential debates have always been the ones with the worst bias.  Primaries usually aren't bad.  That's why Trump whining about "unfair" primary debates is so bogus.

I can agree with that.  :beer: