Author Topic: Beware Confusing Weather And Climate. Unprecedented weather events are not climate data  (Read 105 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Beware Confusing Weather And Climate
Unprecedented weather events are not climate data

POSTED ON 14 APR 23
BY ALAN KENDALLIN ALARMISM, CLIMATE CHANGE, EDUCATION, GLOBAL COOLING, JOURNALISM, MEDIA, PROPAGANDA, SCIENCE

Commonly weather forecasters and those discussing climate change confuse us (and themselves) about weather and climate, often identifying ‘unprecedented’ weather events as evidence for climate change. This is odd because in other situations we do not usually imply that extreme events significantly modify long-term averages. Almost all definitions of climate refer it being a long-term average (at least 30 years) of meteorological (or weather data).

I have very poor maths. At school, having chosen to do A-level Geography rather than Physics my school said there was no need for me to take the extra maths class required in order to do the A-level Physics. In fact I was barred from taking the maths class, something I much regretted. I promised myself that I would learn A-level Maths, but I never got around to it. This lack has made me particularly sensitive to other people’s errors when they misuse the maths that I do understand – like that used referring to what average weather (=climate) means.

Recently I looked up the average temperatures for my current home town in East Anglia. For November the average high is 10oC and the average low drops to 5oC. In fact average lows never fall below 3oC (in December, January and February), but this winter we had two consecutive sharp frosts. Do these frosts imply we are suffering from global cooling? Climate change was not mentioned.

https://cliscep.com/2023/04/14/beware-confusing-weather-and-climate/#comment-140213
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson