Author Topic: Haiti vividly illustrates what happens when the rule of law ends  (Read 123 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
April 25, 2023
Haiti vividly illustrates what happens when the rule of law ends
By Andrea Widburg

Although most Democrats are currently memory-holing their “Defund the police” demands from 2020, the facts on the ground show that, wherever they have control, crime itself is being decriminalized. A grotesque story from Haiti reveals where a society goes when its government abandons the rule of law.

In one American city after another, leftist prosecutors (whether Soros-funded or not), often with the help of leftist judges, are refusing to enforce the law against criminals. The most recent example comes from Chicago. There, a 17-year-old and a 14-year-old—both old enough, according to the left, to “choose” their gender and use toxic drugs and mutilating surgery to achieve that “choice”—stole a car and promptly crashed into another car. In that second car was a 34-year-old mother with her three children, aged 15, 7, and 6 months. The crash killed the baby.

In a sane world, the 17-year-old would be tried as an adult for murder (probably second-degree), while the 14-year-old would spend the next seven years in juvenile detention. However, Chicago is not a sane world; it is a leftist world. That’s why the prosecutor charged the boys with…wait for it…a misdemeanor for criminal trespassing. Again, they stole a car, drove it recklessly, and killed a baby, which equals three separate felonies. The news is filled with stories like this, with unquestioned crimes being undercharged or dismissed.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/04/haiti_vividly_illustrates_what_happens_when_the_rule_of_law_ends.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson