Author Topic: $700M ‘living lab’ to curb climate change set for Governors Island  (Read 311 times)

Offline Kamaji

$700M ‘living lab’ to curb climate change set for Governors Island

By Desheania Andrews and Steve Janoski
April 24, 2023

Governors Island is set to get a sprawling $700 million “living laboratory” to help fight climate change, city officials announced Monday.

The 172-acre site on the island off Lower Manhattan will be home to what Mayor Eric Adams and other officials dubbed the “New York Climate Exchange,” describing it a first-in-the-nation research, education and jobs hub to develop solutions to the climate crisis.

“All New Yorkers will benefit from this major investment that we are making,” Adams said at a press conference. “Whether it is the third-grader from the Bronx who comes here and learns about solutions that they can share with their family members back in their community, or it is the union metal worker who comes to the exchange … to learn advanced construction techniques for offshore wind.

“This is where we will protect our cities air and water. And this is where we will train thousands of students for the next wave of green jobs.”

The project will create 7,000 permanent jobs and have an “economic impact” on the city worth $1 billion, Adams’ office said in a press release.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/24/700m-living-lab-to-curb-climate-change-set-for-governors-island/

Offline Kamaji

Sources of money:

The staggering $700 million price tag will be covered by: $150 million in already allocated city capital funding; $100 million from the Simons Foundation and $50 million from Bloomberg Philanthropies courtesy of former city Mayor Mike Bloomberg, with the rest being raised, Adams’ office said.

That only covers the initial outlays, so the on-going operating funds will no doubt come from NYC and NYS taxpayers.  Not really a good deal for all New Yorkers.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sniff, sniff - I smell boondoggle.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A "green money pit" is gonna get dug on Governor's Island...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... building it on an island will only drive up the cost ... boondoggle.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Freedom City test site #1
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mountaineer

The project will create 7,000 permanent jobs and have an “economic impact” on the city worth $1 billion
:silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org