Author Topic: DOD Makes Climate Assessment Tool Available to Partner Nations  (Read 107 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DOD Makes Climate Assessment Tool Available to Partner Nations
April 21, 2023 | By C. Todd Lopez , DOD News |   

The Department of Defense is one of the largest owners and managers of land in the United States. And that land is likely to be affected by changes in the climate — including the effects of flooding, extreme temperatures and drought.

To prepare for those possibilities and to build resilience, the department has developed the DOD Climate Assessment Tool. DCAT, as it's called, is a web-based tool informed by volumes of data from global climate models, historical observations, and flood modeling that can help the department prepare for climate hazards at over 2,300 DOD locations around the world. 

Recently, the department expanded DCAT to include over 400 locations outside the United States. But also, the department has been developing a separate capability, the Climate Assessment Tool, or CAT, that will be provided to several partner nations to give those countries access to an assessment tool similar to DCAT to enable their own climate change exposure analyses.

Spotlight: Tackling the Climate Crisis
Giving partner nations access to CAT enhances national resilience against climate change by enabling the same quality in our partners and allies, said Ross E. Alter, a Research Meteorologist who helped develop both DCAT and CAT. Alter is on detail to the DOD Climate Action Team, and regularly works at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — Engineer Research and Development Center — Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRREL). 

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3370578/dod-makes-climate-assessment-tool-available-to-partner-nations/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: DOD Makes Climate Assessment Tool Available to Partner Nations
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 02:49:47 pm »
This will just prove to them US leadership has left the room. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson