Author Topic: Time Mag: ‘The Case For Making Earth Day a Religious Holiday’ – Urges ‘an earth-reverent belief syst  (Read 239 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Time Mag: ‘The Case For Making Earth Day a Religious Holiday’ – Urges ‘an earth-reverent belief system’ complete with ‘reverence’ & ‘hymns’ & ‘prophets’

PAUL GREENBERG & CARL SAFINA in Time Mag: Greenberg teaches in NYU’s Animal Studies Program & authored The Climate Diet. Safina holds the Endowed Research Chair for Nature and Humanity at Stony Brook University.

"For the two of us environmentalists—one of us nominally Jewish, the other a recovering Catholic—we find the ill-defined nature of the only day honoring the place that makes life itself possible more than a little sacrilegious. So, on this 53rd Earth Day we thought it useful to pose what a real Earth Day should represent and how it could form a central time for a new approach to worship....One day out of 365 to mark the entire planet is too far a cry from the reverence and recognition owed the beleaguered planetary basis for our entire existence, for all known life."

"So, what would an earth-reverent belief system look like with Earth Day at its center? ... The Jewish Torah wraps around the year nicely...What if a book like that existed for the Earth? What if it were replete with hymns to this world of the living? What if it contained the stories of the prophets of natural earth knowledge—Darwin and Carson, Galileo and Humboldt? ... Are we proposing a whole new religion? We’re not quite sure. Maybe an old one. ... In short, we must make nature central to our belief system with Earth Day or any number of earth-focused ceremonial days serving as regular reminders of what we owe our home planet.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/04/22/time-mag-the-case-for-making-earth-day-a-religious-holiday-urges-an-earth-reverent-belief-system-complete-with-reverence-hymns-prophets/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Would this be the same TIME magazine that a few decades ago warned us of the coming ice age and posited that God is dead? That TIME magazine?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Time Mag: ‘The Case For Making Earth Day a Religious Holiday’ – Urges ‘an earth-reverent belief system’ complete with ‘reverence’ & ‘hymns’ & ‘prophets’

Just a few decades late to the party with this. The Earth cult of Gaia Worshipers has been around for a long time, but I think they may be looking for a new high priest/priestess because Greta seems to be on the out the same way as ManBearPig.

Offline Kamaji

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Close enough to 420 to just rename it Green Whacko Day. or weekend.

A lot of the same inclusive crowd of worshippers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 04:52:36 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I might actually support this. Nice big neon sign as to what they really are. Every time they scream 'climate change' we scream 'separation of church and state.'
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I might actually support this. Nice big neon sign as to what they really are. Every time they scream 'climate change' we scream 'separation of church and state.'

Time Magazine?  Should this be a holiday before or after the upcoming Ice Age...

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.