Author Topic: Can Trump win over the GOP as the ‘moderate’ in the race? By Rich Lowry  (Read 346 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Can Trump win over the GOP as the ‘moderate’ in the race?
By Rich Lowry   
April 21, 2023 6:25pm

Back in 2016, the most moderate Republican candidate in the race was Ohio Gov. John Kasich, who lost everywhere except his home state.

Perhaps the most moderate candidate in the field as of this moment is Donald Trump.

If you want a Republican who won’t cut spending or start foreign wars, Trump is still your man.

Added to this now is clearly a discomfort with the fight over abortion in the post-Roe environment.

Trump’s main line of attack against Ron DeSantis is from the left.

He’s hitting the Florida governor hard for his past support for reining in Social Security and Medicare.

He’s also called the governor’s culture-war clash with Disney “so unnecessary” and “a political stunt,” while not entering the fray in the conservative war with Bud Light.

Of course, Trump’s personal power is such that he’s made loyalty to himself the standard for being considered right-wing — orthodox conservatives who reject Trump are more apt to be labeled moderates than Trump himself.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/04/21/can-trump-win-over-the-gop-as-the-moderate-in-the-race/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump isn't really a moderate. He's a swing for the fences, throw it at the wall and see what sticks kind of guy. Too all over the map to classify him as anything other than a populist.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Tumpy would have to come a long way to the right to be a moderate.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Hey Trump.....

This Tropic Thunder meme describes your recent insane move leftward.  You just pissed off the most 10% of us ultra right wingers. Good luck with that in '24.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

So Trump is now officially the Swamp candidate.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

From the article….

If you want a Republican who won’t cut spending or start foreign wars, Trump is still your man.

I agree

But if we don’t cut spending, expect a weak inflationary economy for a long time

I’m OK with not starting foreign wars. I’m not OK with growing the size of the government and the debt.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I often look up a synopsis of candidates based on major issues.  Trump's is rather very lengthy, but I thought I would post it.  I was surprised that he is considered (by ontheissues.org) a hard core conservative.  So, for what it's worth here it is. I've read the first couple of points under each category.  If you read or peruse through the issues, what do you think???

https://www.ontheissues.org/donald_trump.htm
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

I often look up a synopsis of candidates based on major issues.  Trump's is rather very lengthy, but I thought I would post it.  I was surprised that he is considered (by ontheissues.org) a hard core conservative.  So, for what it's worth here it is. I've read the first couple of points under each category.  If you read or peruse through the issues, what do you think???

https://www.ontheissues.org/donald_trump.htm

Nah... That is laughable. He talks the talk. He does not walk the walk.

And really, there is counterpoint out of his own mouth on most issues, so to suppose he is 'talking the talk' could easily be denied.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 08:57:41 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline corbe

His hometown newspaper, that's gotta hurt that thin skinned idiot.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.