Author Topic: Here's Why My Next Car Will Definitely Not Be an EV  (Read 335 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Here's Why My Next Car Will Definitely Not Be an EV
« on: April 22, 2023, 08:21:56 pm »
Here's Why My Next Car Will Definitely Not Be an EV
by Maurie Backman | Published on April 22, 2023
The infrastructure just isn't there yet.

Key points
Electric vehicles can be expensive to buy and own.
My reason for not wanting to own an EV just yet has more to do with convenience than price.
Charging stations for EVs are not yet widespread, meaning they might not be a good option for you if you take long road trips to remote areas.

These days, it's not so uncommon to see your fair share of electric vehicles on the road. And if your car has seen better days, you may be thinking of buying an electric vehicle, or EV, when the time comes to replace it.

Now, one thing you should know is that EVs aren't cheap. The average price of the top 10 electric vehicles in the U.S. is about $68,817, according to EV marketplace Find My Electric.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/insurance/auto/articles/my-next-car-will-definitely-not-be-an-ev/?source=eptyholnk0000202&utm_source=yahoo-host&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=article
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

Re: Here's Why My Next Car Will Definitely Not Be an EV
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 12:41:44 pm »
“If EVs are more efficient and save us money, as administration officials claim, manufacturers would not have to be compelled and bribed into producing them.”
Biden’s Fascistic EV Edict
David Harsanyi
 April 17, 2023

President Joe Biden is set to “transform” and “remake” the entire auto industry—“first with carrots, now with sticks”—notes The Washington Post, as if dictating the output of a major industry is within the governing purview of the executive branch.

The Environmental Protection Agency is proposing draconian emissions limits for vehicles, ensuring that 67% of all new passenger cars and trucks produced within nine years will be electric. This is state coercion. It is undemocratic. We are not governed; we are managed.

In fascist economies, a powerful centralized state—often led by a demagogue who plays on the nationalistic impulses of people—controls both manufacturing and commerce and dictates prices and wages for the “common good.” Any unpatriotic excessive profits are captured by the state. All economic activity must meet state approval. And crony, rent-seeking companies are willing participants.

Now, I’m not saying we already live in a fascist economic state. I’m just saying the Democratic Party economic platform sounds like it wishes we were. ...
Daily Signal
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 01:02:24 pm »
Electric Vehicles- What’s Behind Their Declining Resale Values?

https://www.endurancewarranty.com/learning-center/finance/electric-vehicles-declining-resale-values/

However, it comes down to depreciation is where Electric Vehicle owners lose. According to Forbes, electric vehicles typically lose more than $5,700 off their original value per year of ownership. That means about $28,500 off their original price after five years compared to an average of less than $16,000 over five years across traditional vehicle types.

I have kept each vehicle I have purchased typically for over 20 years. An EV's value would be negative way before then.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 04:29:31 pm »
I own a Hybrid and won't own another, let alone an EV.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 04:31:29 pm »
No EV here, either.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 04:49:26 pm »
EV's have their place.  I built an EV gokart for the kids. And I'm in the process of building an EV minibike. I was also thinking of making an EV mule for moving my boat and lowboy trailer in and out of my back yard.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 07:17:33 pm »
Way too many issues with EV's that I'm not comfortable with. I just don't think that this technology is the answer to getting away for the internal combustion engine. They either need a big technology breakthrough, either with EV's or some other technology.

I don't like how long they take to charge, even though I live about a mile from a bank of Tesla chargers that I never see anyone using. I don't like that some of these vehicles have caught on fire, and it's impossible to put out the fire.  All they can do is keep the surroundings (hopefully) from catching fire until the thing burns itself out.  I refuse to park my cars outside, they are garaged, and my garage is attached to my home. 

And how would they even be able to handle the battery demand from the switch to EV's? The mining capacity is nowhere close to what would be needed, and the mining itself is a nightmare. 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 07:19:43 pm by LadyLiberty »