Author Topic: Trump Bashes DeSantis, Says Florida 'Continues to Tumble Into Complete and Total...Destruction  (Read 7496 times)

Online libertybele

How much of what Donald Trump is claiming is true?

Not a whole lot; especially his assessment of DeSantis.  Is DeSantis perfect?  No, of course not, but he is by far the best governor this state has had in over 30 years. Is FL without problems?  No, of course not.

Interesting don't you think that Trump has teamed up with the guy who is governor of one of the worst states; Newsome/CA to attack one of the best governors in a state that hundreds of thousands have flocked to since he's been in office.

What does that tell you?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Not a whole lot; especially his assessment of DeSantis.  Is DeSantis perfect?  No, of course not, but he is by far the best governor this state has had in over 30 years. Is FL without problems?  No, of course not. 

Interesting don't you think that Trump has teamed up with the guy who is governor of one of the worst states; Newsome/CA to attack one of the best governors in a state that hundreds of thousands have flocked to since he's been in office.

What does that tell you?

That Trump has no principles, and that his only point of reference is what is good for him personally.

And I have come to believe that 100%.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:46:48 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline corbe

Little if any @LMAO   

Always the Showman!

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online LMAO

Little if any @LMAO   

Always the Showman!

Well, there is at least one poster who takes every word he says as gospel

Should DeSantis run, his record is fair game… The good and the bad. And not just his record as governor, but his record as a congressman, also.

Looking at his congressional record, he was far better on the spending issue than Donald Trump was and that may be what’s upsetting the MAGAs the most. They may not get the money for their centrally planned cities with flying cars nor will DeSantis give them money for breeding.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline corbe

Usually after that first term the circus was in town, horny residents knew the tent with the naked ladies was BS. 
   I peaked inside and knew it was crap from the start.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

@LMAO

Well, there is at least one poster who takes every word he says as gospel

Should DeSantis run, his record is fair game… The good and the bad. And not just his record as governor, but his record as a congressman, also.

Looking at his congressional record, he was far better on the spending issue than Donald Trump was and that may be what’s upsetting the MAGAs the most. They may not get the money for their centrally planned cities with flying cars nor will DeSantis give them money for breeding.

Here's the thing -- I don't think Trump himself believes any of that stuff for a moment.  Literally the only reason he is going after DeSantis is because he views DeSantis as disloyal.  On substance, I bet Trump would have said wonderful things about DeSantis.  And I bet that if Trump himself had decided not to run, he would be 100% supportive of DeSantis, and so would the overwhelming majority of his supporters.  Even if he wasn't their preferred candidate, he'd still be considered a good/acceptable one.  That's what makes this entire thing so...disgusting.

There is nothing wrong with DeSantis as a leader except that he is not willing to defer to Trump.  And for that reason alone, many Trump supporters will not vote for him even if he wins the nomination, and even if they believe he'd be a good President.  Because they'd rather the country get a much worse President in Biden, or Newsome, or whomever, than get a good conservative who wasn't sufficiently loyal to Trump.

And they call themselves "America-First Patriots."   No, they're just Trump First.  And that's where it begins and ends.

Online cato potatoe

How much of what Donald Trump is claiming is true?

Property insurance is a sore spot.  The state needs to get rid of no-fault auto insurance.  Auto premiums are high.  DeSantis signed a bill to limit home insurance fraud, but those costs will remain elevated due to natural disasters. 

The rest of Donald’s list is garbage.

Offline corbe

:thumbsup:

The Trumpers proved that in Texas '18 during Cruz's reelection.   
   They never will forgive him for saying 'vote your conscience' @ the RNC Convention.

@Maj.B
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:57:59 am by corbe »

Online LMAO

@LMAO

Here's the thing -- I don't think Trump himself believes any of that stuff for a moment.  Literally the only reason he is going after DeSantis is because he views DeSantis as disloyal.  On substance, I bet Trump would have said wonderful things about DeSantis.  And I bet that if Trump himself had decided not to run, he would be 100% supportive of DeSantis, and so would the overwhelming majority of his supporters.  Even if he wasn't their preferred candidate, he'd still be considered a good/acceptable one.  That's what makes this entire thing so...disgusting.

There is nothing wrong with DeSantis as a leader except that he is not willing to defer to Trump.  And for that reason alone, many Trump supporters will not vote for him even if he wins the nomination, and even if they believe he'd be a good President.  Because they'd rather the country get a much worse President in Biden, or Newsome, or whomever, than get a good conservative who wasn't sufficiently loyal to Trump.

And it is all about loyalty and flattery when it comes to Trump. When it comes to Gavin Newsom, Trumps a lot less aggressive because he said nice things about him. Sure, he did point out that Newsom has done a terrible job in California, but but not with the aggressiveness that he’s going after Ron DeSantis. There’s no “De sanctimonious” type nicknames for Gavin Newsom, who is arguably one of the most disastrous governors in the US.

It’s part of our nature to be accepted and flattery can soothe the savage beast. But it’s tough to believe a candidate’s claims of draining the swamp when he’s easily subdued with flattery
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 01:28:55 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online libertybele

Property insurance is a sore spot.  The state needs to get rid of no-fault auto insurance.  Auto premiums are high.  DeSantis signed a bill to limit home insurance fraud, but those costs will remain elevated due to natural disasters. 

The rest of Donald’s list is garbage.

Trump is a lot of hot air and lies. 

You are correct about the insurance. The insurance companies are talking about at least tripling premiums and now attaching a tax onto each premium.  DeSantis signed a bill, but insurance companies are still claiming insolvency.  Meanwhile, lots of blue tarps on roofs and no one now is receiving any money from insurance companies to repair the damage. 

If we get another hurricane in the area or even a strong tropical storm a whole lot of people are going to be completely devastated as they've never recovered from last year.

I'm praying for a very quiet hurricane season which starts in a couple of weeks.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

And it is all about loyalty and flattery when it comes to Trump. When it comes to Gavin Newsom, Trumps a lot less aggressive because he said nice things about him. Sure, he did point out that Newsom has done a terrible job in California, but but not with the aggressiveness that he’s going after Ron DeSantis. There’s no “De sanctimonious” type nicknames for Gavin Newsom, who is arguably one of the most disastrous governors in the US.

It’s part of our nature to be accepted and flattery can soothe the savage beast. But it’s tough to believe a candidate’s claims of draining the swamp when he’s easily subdued with flattery

Not until Trump himself was out of office, though.  While President, he gave the worst state in the country in terms of leftist social engineering a pass because Newsome flattered him.  That's  ridiculous.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that going after Newsome personally would have been the right move at all.  But not even going after bad policies because the guy says nice things about you is just disgraceful.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I live in FL.  We've had hundreds of thousands move here since DeSantis took office.

People have been moving to Florida at the same rate for twenty years.  What the hell does this migration have to do with Ron DeSantis @libertybele?

Alex Bruesewitz
@alexbruesewitz

Florida population growth year over year since the year 2000.

As you can tell by the data, DeSantis is nothing special.

Florida has been growing & trending red for decades.

11:02 AM · Apr 22, 2023

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm Pollyanna-ish enough to believe that Trump would have grown up between the 2016 and the 2024 election. I hoped he'd become more statesmanlike as a result of having served as president.  :shrug: :thud:

It's less than a year until Super Tuesday, and I already know how I'll vote. When Trump first started his scorched-Republican-Party tactics this time, I decided I'd vote for someone else in the primary. Anybody but Trump, actually. If he prevails, I'll likely vote for him in the general. God knows that nothing could be worse than what we're enduring now with the filthy Dems in charge. If Trump continues to campaign as a bat guano crazy nutcase, I may just leave the top of the ballot blank. It won't be the first time.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Trump is a lot of hot air and lies. 

You are correct about the insurance.

Any truth to any of this: @libertybele ?

Florida is now the fourth-most expensive state in the country for healthcare, and has the highest annual car insurance premiums in the nation.

Florida ranks in the 10 most expensive states in the continental United States for fuel prices, and in 2023, Florida imposed a new hike on fuel purchases.

Florida ranked 38th in energy affordability, with the 4th most expensive monthly electricity costs of any state ($158) and 11th most expensive monthly natural gas costs ($82).

According to a 2023 SmartAsset study, the Orlando metropolitan area was the 10th most expensive to live comfortably in the nation. Miami closely followed, as the 12th most expensive metropolitan area and Tampa also made the list, as the 16th most expensive.

In his first term as Florida governor, Ron DeSantis raised taxes on Floridians by more than $1.5 billion.

@Right_in_Virginia, so what truly is your point? 

It's simple @libertybele: Ron Desantis is running for President of the United States based on the promise to do to America what he's done in Florida.  We have an obligation to look past the smoke and mirrors, exaggerations and outright lies to determine if this is a good fit for the rest of the nation ---- just as we examine the record of Newsome or Christie or Haley.  It's not personal, it's an obligation.

BTW you might want to take a look and realize that Florida was a strongly Democratic state before the Civil War, electing only one candidate from the Whig Party (the Democrats' chief opposition at the time). It elected three Republican governors following Reconstruction, but after the Democratic Party re-established control, 90 years passed before voters chose another Republican.

Sure, but first tell me how this supports the Desantis claim that *he* is the reason Florida is a red state when the last time Florida elected a democrat to the governorship was in 1994 and the Republican candidate for President won eight of the last eleven elections since 1980.

Let's take THIS national  :crossed:

Mostly Peaceful Latinas
@mplpodcast305

There is no gas in Southwest Miami. I went to three different gas stations in Kendall drive and they are all empty. The fourth one only had diesel.

Do not let these propagandists gaslight you, we are not back to normal.

10:49 PM · Apr 22, 2023

Online LMAO

Any truth to any of this: @libertybele ?

In his first term as Florida governor, Ron DeSantis raised taxes on Floridians by more than $1.5 billion.

Sounds like you need to do a little bit more research than cutting and pasting talking points from “TruthSocial.”

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/politics/2022/09/07/charlie-crist-misleading-ron-desantis-tax-record-florida-governor-politifact/8004275001/

DeSantis raised "taxes on the middle class by more than $1.5 billion while giving away $624 million to big corporations," Crist said in an Aug. 25 tweet.

DeSantis has criticized Democratic-led states like New York for imposing large tax burdens on their residents. So, we wondered whether Crist's portrayal of DeSantis' tax policy was accurate.

PolitiFact found that DeSantis signed a bill to revise Florida's online sales tax in 2021 — but the tax isn't new and didn't target the middle class. Although corporations received a $624 million refund during DeSantis' tenure, there's more context to know than Crist provided.

PolitiFact Truth-o-meter: Mostly False

DeSantis revised Florida's online sales tax

Crist is talking about a law DeSantis signed in 2021 that changed how the state collects sales taxes on online transactions.

The law, SB 50, requires online marketplaces with no physical presence in Florida to collect and remit sales tax on items delivered to customers in the state. The state estimated it would generate about $1 billion a year. (The state's revenue department did not confirm the amount it collected when we asked about Crist's $1.5 billion claim.)

Florida already had a 6% sales and use tax on goods. Before SB 50, customers were expected to contact the state's Department of Revenue and pay the tax owed on their purchases from remote sellers. 

But compliance was "notoriously low," a legislative staff analysis found. Florida changed the law after a 2018 U.S. Supreme Court ruling eliminated the requirement that sellers have physical presence in a state to collect and remit taxes to that state.

Experts told PolitiFact that SB 50 didn't create a new tax but shifted the responsibility to remit sales tax from consumers to the remote seller.

"The ability to require a broader range of sellers to collect at point-of-sale increases collections, but it is an enforcement action, not a new tax," said Jared Walczak, a researcher at the Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan, Washington, D.C.-based research group.

The Tax Foundation neither endorsed nor opposed the legislation in 2021 but noted that the revision held merit and that more than 40 states have enacted similar legislation "on a broad bipartisan basis." 

Although Florida consumers are paying taxes on some purchases they previously hadn't paid them on, we found no evidence to support Crist's claim that the law targeted the middle class.

"People of all income classes make online purchases," Walczak said. "Nothing about increasing enforcement of the already existing sales and use tax targets a particular income bracket."

Florida doled out $624 million to big corporations

Crist's campaign cited HB 7127 — legislation DeSantis signed in 2019 that extended a temporary corporate tax reduction set into motion by former Gov. Rick Scott in 2018.

Scott signed the initial tax refund to offset changes brought about by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which expanded the definition of corporate income while reducing federal corporate tax rates.

That act resulted in more taxable income for Florida corporate income taxpayers and would have increased corporations' state tax liabilities. The 2018 bill lowered the corporate tax rate, which triggered an automatic refund for eligible corporate taxpayers.

DeSantis allowed the downward adjustment of corporate tax rates to continue for another two years. In spring 2020, he snubbed calls from Democratic lawmakers to cancel the tax refund.

A Florida Department of Revenue spokesperson told PolitiFact it refunded nearly $624 million to the state's corporate taxpayers this year.

The refunds benefited more than 21,000 corporate taxpayers, the spokesperson said.

Our ruling

Crist said DeSantis raised "taxes on the middle class by more than $1.5 billion" and gave $624 million to "big corporations."

That's misleading. Although DeSantis signed legislation to revise Florida's online sale tax — which the state estimated would generate around $1 billion annually — the law neither established a new tax nor targeted only the middle class.

Crist had more of a point when considering the amount of money Florida refunded to large corporations. The Florida Department of Revenue told PolitiFact it refunded nearly $624 million to the state's corporate taxpayers this year.

In 2019, DeSantis signed legislation that extended a provision — signed by former Gov. Rick Scott — that temporarily reduced corporate income tax rates. The refunds benefited more than 20,000 corporate taxpayers, according to the state Department of Revenue.

Crist's statement contains an element of truth but ignores critical facts that would give a different impression. We rate it Mostly False.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:54:06 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

Let's take THIS national  :crossed:

Maybe this has something to do with it

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/04/19/business/south-florida-gas-shortages/index.html

“New York(CNN) More than half of gas stations in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area were without gasoline Wednesday after flooding from last week's massive storm caused a wave of panic buying by drivers topping off their gas tanks.”

But if you want to play this game, let’s do Donald Trump and the toilet paper shortage nationally in 2020 wink777

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

If Florida is the Third World hell hole that Donald Trump and his MAGA’s claim it is, why did he move there? Why doesn’t he pack it up and move into his beloved New York or California?

That alone speaks volumes
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 10:30:37 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

Now there does seem to be an issue with rent prices and housing in Florida, but when Trump tells his MAGAs to repeat his talking points, he and they leave a lot of context out

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-least-affordable-state-us-miami-tampa-orlando-naples-rent/

“Florida's housing woes have been festering for years, with the state enjoying robust population growth while also courting new residents and businesses attracted by the low taxes and an anti-regulation agenda.”

Ron DeSantis may be a “victim” of his own success. Naturally, the more businesses and the more people you attract your state, keeping up with the housing is gonna get very challenging.

It’s like trying to explain to MAGAs that the more you spend, the more you have to borrow and print, and the more you risk fueling inflation. They don’t seem to grasp how basic economics works.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 10:49:09 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline kevindavis007

Now there does seem to be an issue with rent prices and housing in Florida, but when Trump tells his MAGAs to repeat his talking points, he and they leave a lot of context out

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/florida-least-affordable-state-us-miami-tampa-orlando-naples-rent/

“Florida's housing woes have been festering for years, with the state enjoying robust population growth while also courting new residents and businesses attracted by the low taxes and an anti-regulation agenda.”

Ron DeSantis may be a “victim” of his own success. Naturally, the more businesses and the more people you attract your state, keeping up with the housing is gonna get very challenging.

It’s like trying to explain to MAGAs that the more you spend, the more you have to borrow and print, and the more you risk fueling inflation. They don’t seem to grasp how basic economics works.

They think this is the 1950s still.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Kamaji

So, Trump tells bald-faced lies.  What else is new?

Offline Kamaji

If Florida is the Third World hell hole that Donald Trump and his MAGA’s claim it is, why did he move there? Why doesn’t he pack it up and move into his beloved New York or California?

That alone speaks volumes

:thumbsup:

Online LMAO

So, Trump tells bald-faced lies.  What else is new?

Politicians lying, exaggerating things, or misrepresenting happens. I get the rough and tumble of primary elections

The problem is how blindly his points are repeated here without questioning or doubt
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 12:58:59 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Hoodat

The 5-ton elephant in the room.  It amazes me the abject stupidity and dishonesty of those offering this argument considering that Trump praised DeSantis' leadership as the reason he moved to Florida.  And now they're regurgitating Democrat talking points from Charlie Crist?  Please.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-