Author Topic: Former Supreme Court justice defends Thomas: ‘Man of integrity’  (Read 201 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Breyer calls Thomas a 'man of integrity' as Democrats ratchet up ethics concerns
by Kaelan Deese, Supreme Court Reporter |
April 21, 2023 03:16 PM

Retired Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer called Justice Clarence Thomas a "man of integrity" as his former colleague faces an onslaught of criticism from Democrats over his relationship with a wealthy Republican donor.

Thomas has undergone criticism from mostly Democratic lawmakers and critics after ProPublica reported previously undisclosed trips and a 2014 property sale between Thomas and GOP donor Harlan Crow. During a federal circuit conference in Boston on Thursday, PBS NewsHour Supreme Court analyst Marcia Coyle asked Breyer how he sees Thomas and how a novel code of ethics could apply to the justices.

“As far as I’m concerned, I sat next to him on the bench for 28 years. I like him. He’s a friend of mine. I’ve never seen him do anything underhanded or say anything underhanded,” Breyer said, according to Bloomberg Law.

“My personal point of view is he’s a man of integrity,” Breyer told attendees at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit event.

Although justices do consult the Code of Conduct for United States Judges, which was first introduced in 1973, they are not bound to the rules through any measures of accountability, such as punishments for violating the code.

Breyer noted that justices can make mistakes but pushed back on any notion that the Supreme Court doesn't adhere to ethics standards. Should an issue come to light, Breyer said he sees it as “whatever applies to all the judges applies to me.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/breyer-calls-thomas-a-man-of-integrity-as-democrats-raise-ethics-concerns
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34