Author Topic: Scientists may have finally figured out why hair turns gray — and how to stop it  (Read 993 times)

Offline Kamaji

Scientists may have finally figured out why hair turns gray — and how to stop it

By Alex Mitchell
April 21, 2023

They’ve got this one on locks.

Researchers at NYU have unlocked fresh evidence as to why human hair loses its natural color over time — which could help prevent people from graying.

The new study, conducted using mice and published in Nature, a peer- reviewed journal, closely examined the melanocyte stem cells (McSCs) known to control hair color.

Earlier in life, these cells can be remarkably dynamic, but with age, as hair is lost and regrown, the McSCs tend to slow down, getting trapped in what’s known as the hair follicle bulge, meaning they don’t get a chance to finish the job they were created to do.

Finding a way to get them moving again, which appears to be entirely possible, could mean the end of gray hair — not just in mice, but in people too, according to the team at NYU’s Grossman School of Medicine.

“[This] adds to our basic understanding of how melanocyte stem cells work to color hair,” said study lead Qi Sun, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow at NYU Langone Health. “The newfound mechanisms raise the possibility that the same fixed positioning of melanocyte stem cells may exist in humans,”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/21/why-gray-hair-may-soon-be-a-thing-of-the-past-new-study/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Meh, so what if they can stop hair turning grey if it keeps migrating from my head to my back :shrug:

Offline Kamaji

Meh, so what if they can stop hair turning grey if it keeps migrating from my head to my back :shrug:

:silly:

My paternal grandfather always told me he had so much on his chin, and so little up top, because he kept tugging at his beard.

Offline berdie

I'm not sure how good I would look with hair my natural color and all these wrinkles on my face. At least I match. :rolling: :rolling:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

And my ears and nose.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Will it work for Pubic Hair too?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Not only the migration, the gray hair on my chin is so thick and strong it is like cutting a wire brush. In fact it doesn't actually 'cut' when I hit it with a trimmer, it sort of shatters and flies all over the place like a wire brush would do.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

So, they've already cured cancer and the common cold?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Polly Ticks

////00000////

So, they've already cured cancer and the common cold?

No, but they've apparently found a way to dramatically decrease the annual income of hair dressers around the world, so they've got that going for them.   
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online libertybele

I had to chuckle at this one.  The least of my worries is my hair turning gray.  I could care less. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

Mine is a mix of gray, white on the sides, and a little brown on the back. So maybe science can find a way to stop my multi colored hair

On the plus side I have very thick hair that’s stubbornly determined to stay thick even as I age and it changes color

I just wish it would hurry up and pick just one color

I work with a woman who is in her 40s that’s got long graying hair and she is drop dead gorgeous. And I worked with two now retired nurses that had gray hair, but were pretty foxy

I guess there are worse things than gray hair

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

Not only the migration, the gray hair on my chin is so thick and strong it is like cutting a wire brush. In fact it doesn't actually 'cut' when I hit it with a trimmer, it sort of shatters and flies all over the place like a wire brush would do.
I'm kinda thinking enough with the beard trimming, gonna go all Santa Clause and when my doctor says something about my weight I will say sorry I'm a method actor and have to get in character.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I've earned my grey hairs.  I'm keeping them as trophies for living this long.

Too many of my school classmates have been taken from this life way too young.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Isn't the spectacle of a room full of Slim Whitmans at the Nursing Home at tad unnerving?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 09:22:01 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

Isn't the spectacle of a room full of Slim Whitmans at the Nursing Home at tad unnerving?
The spectacle, no, the yodeling hell yes!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I had to chuckle at this one.  The least of my worries is my hair turning gray.  I could care less.
Ditto.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Proverbs... I like my crown of glory...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....