Author Topic: Ford F-150 Lightning Spectacular EV Fire  (Read 231 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ford F-150 Lightning Spectacular EV Fire
« on: April 21, 2023, 10:31:31 am »
1 hour ago Eric Worrall 1 Comment
Essay by Eric Worrall

h/t ResourceGuy; Another EV has joined the ranks of vehicles you probably shouldn’t park close to anything you care about.

Ford F-150 Lightning fire footage highlights a growing EV risk

PUBLISHED THU, APR 20 20238:00 AM EDTUPDATED THU, APR 20 2023AT 1:29 EDT
Michael Wayland@MIKEWAYLAND

New video footage of a fire that started in a Ford F-150 Lightning earlier this year highlights an emerging concern regarding the adoption of electric vehicles.

The previously unreleased footage, obtained by CNBC, shows smoke billowing from three tightly packed electric pickups. Moments later, flames shoot several feet above the vehicles, which were unoccupied.

Fires involving EV batteries can burn hotter and longer and require new techniques to extinguish, posing a growing challenge to first responders.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/04/21/ford-f-150-lightning-spectacular-ev-fire/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Ford F-150 Lightning Spectacular EV Fire
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 06:21:16 pm »
1 hour ago Eric Worrall 1 Comment
Essay by Eric Worrall

h/t ResourceGuy; Another EV has joined the ranks of vehicles you probably shouldn’t park close to anything you care about.

Ford F-150 Lightning fire footage highlights a growing EV risk

PUBLISHED THU, APR 20 20238:00 AM EDTUPDATED THU, APR 20 2023AT 1:29 EDT
Michael Wayland@MIKEWAYLAND

New video footage of a fire that started in a Ford F-150 Lightning earlier this year highlights an emerging concern regarding the adoption of electric vehicles.

The previously unreleased footage, obtained by CNBC, shows smoke billowing from three tightly packed electric pickups. Moments later, flames shoot several feet above the vehicles, which were unoccupied.

Fires involving EV batteries can burn hotter and longer and require new techniques to extinguish, posing a growing challenge to first responders.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/04/21/ford-f-150-lightning-spectacular-ev-fire/
Well it's a FORD so....

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 06:33:43 pm »
EV fires are extraordinarily difficult to extinguish, and emit toxic fumes which can cause acute and long term debilitating injuries in anyone unlucky enough to breathe them. They also burn hot enough to melt steel and concrete, and need minimal or in some cases no oxygen to continue burning – more like a thermite fire than an ordinary flame.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 07:06:56 pm »
When lithium ion batteries burn, the cathode material breaks down and releases O2 , and the battery combustion will also
release CO and other combustible gases.  The large amount of heat released by internal reaction can also provide energy
for lithium ion battery combustion. These factors also make lithium ion battery burn even in confined environments.