Author Topic: BREAKING>> SpaceX's largest rocket ever built explodes four minutes after launch  (Read 1574 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Has anyone heard anymore reports of damage near or at lauch site from debris? 

Almost like a blackout.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Musk, SpaceX's founder, chief executive and chief engineer, had appeared eager to temper expectations in remarks made Sunday that downplayed the odds of a successful first flight. SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell told a conference in February that the "real goal" of the test "is to not blow up the launch pad."

Getting the newly combined Starship and booster rocket off the ground for the first time represented a milestone in SpaceX's ambition of sending astronauts back to the moon and ultimately to Mars, as a major partner in Artemis, NASA's newly inaugurated human spaceflight program.

"Congrats to @SpaceX on Starship’s first integrated flight test!," NASA chief Bill Nelson said in a tweet. "Every great achievement throughout history has demanded some level of calculated risk, because with great risk comes great reward. Looking forward to all that SpaceX learns, to the next flight test — and beyond."

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Powerful Blast from SpaceX’s Starship Damages Launch Pad and Wrecks Nearby Minivan

https://gizmodo.com/spacex-starship-launch-pad-damage-video-1850357836

Lifting off with record-breaking thrust, SpaceX’s Starship rocket was expected to produce an impressive launch plume and possibly cause damage to the launch pad. Early footage from the scene in Boca Chica, Texas, suggests the surrounding area did indeed take some damage—including an unfortunate minivan that got clobbered by a large rock.

The dramatic footage comes from LabPadre’s VR cam, which the popular YouTube channel placed uncomfortably close to the 469-foot-tall (142-meter) launch and catch tower. Cameras this close to the launch tower are controlled remotely, as everyone must leave the area prior to launch for safety reasons. If anyone doubted this rule before, these new videos should smarten them up.

SpaceX was forced to destroy Starship at the 3:59 mark of the mission, the result of the rocket entering into a hopeless tumble. The Elon Musk-led company said that, at a bare minimum, it wanted to see the rocket take flight and not cause too much damage to the launch site. It’s still too early to tell, but the acquired footage does point to some harm at the site—such as a gigantic crater that formed directly beneath the Orbital Launch Mount.

Ground crews will now scour the area in search of possible damage to the launch and catch tower and surrounding infrastructure, such as the nearby tank farm. Thankfully, SpaceX’s Starhopper—a test vehicle used in the development of Starship—appears to have survived the launch; the retired Starhopper continues to stand right next to the launch pad.

Despite the destruction of the two-stage heavy-lift launch vehicle, SpaceX is casting the maiden flight in a positive light. “With a test like this, success comes from what we learn, and today’s test will help us improve Starship’s reliability as SpaceX seeks to make life multi-planetary,” the company tweeted.

LabPadre
@LabPadre

Crater McCrater face underneath OLM . Holy cow! #SpaceX #Starbase #Starship #Superheavy

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Powerful Blast from SpaceX’s Starship Damages Launch Pad and Wrecks Nearby Minivan

https://gizmodo.com/spacex-starship-launch-pad-damage-video-1850357836

Lifting off with record-breaking thrust, SpaceX’s Starship rocket was expected to produce an impressive launch plume and possibly cause damage to the launch pad. Early footage from the scene in Boca Chica, Texas, suggests the surrounding area did indeed take some damage—including an unfortunate minivan that got clobbered by a large rock.

The dramatic footage comes from LabPadre’s VR cam, which the popular YouTube channel placed uncomfortably close to the 469-foot-tall (142-meter) launch and catch tower. Cameras this close to the launch tower are controlled remotely, as everyone must leave the area prior to launch for safety reasons. If anyone doubted this rule before, these new videos should smarten them up.

SpaceX was forced to destroy Starship at the 3:59 mark of the mission, the result of the rocket entering into a hopeless tumble. The Elon Musk-led company said that, at a bare minimum, it wanted to see the rocket take flight and not cause too much damage to the launch site. It’s still too early to tell, but the acquired footage does point to some harm at the site—such as a gigantic crater that formed directly beneath the Orbital Launch Mount.

Ground crews will now scour the area in search of possible damage to the launch and catch tower and surrounding infrastructure, such as the nearby tank farm. Thankfully, SpaceX’s Starhopper—a test vehicle used in the development of Starship—appears to have survived the launch; the retired Starhopper continues to stand right next to the launch pad.

Despite the destruction of the two-stage heavy-lift launch vehicle, SpaceX is casting the maiden flight in a positive light. “With a test like this, success comes from what we learn, and today’s test will help us improve Starship’s reliability as SpaceX seeks to make life multi-planetary,” the company tweeted.

LabPadre
@LabPadre

Crater McCrater face underneath OLM . Holy cow! #SpaceX #Starbase #Starship #Superheavy
Had they completed the water deluge system prior to this launch? It appeared that all the concrete that was blown up from the pad damaged, what six of the 33 engines and I thought the whole purpose of the deluge system was to keep that from happening. It will be interesting to know what kept the first stage from separating.

Offline DB

If you watch the launch the engines in the 10:30 position appear to be damaged and were flaring up repeatedly.

I'd guess based on the damage to the launch pad that flying debris hit the engines at the beginning of launch. Nothing should be flying about at that point.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
As they say, "that blowed up real good!"

Back to the drawing board...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In all fairness, when you look at the mission scope, it was supposed to splash down near Hawaii.

Elon Musk is not a quitter.  If anything he'll be stronger and more driven to  exceed expectations next time. His managment speak met the results.  Got to keep the morale up of such a talented team.

All Managers know that failure breeds ....lessons learned.
I have little doubt that what went wrong will be found and corrected.

If you never fail, you haven't tried much new.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Had they completed the water deluge system prior to this launch? It appeared that all the concrete that was blown up from the pad damaged, what six of the 33 engines and I thought the whole purpose of the deluge system was to keep that from happening. It will be interesting to know what kept the first stage from separating.

The deluge system was not completed. I would think that the concrete would not fly up to the engines, but away from the engines. The deluge system was to be completed for the second flight.

Offline DB

The deluge system was not completed. I would think that the concrete would not fly up to the engines, but away from the engines. The deluge system was to be completed for the second flight.

Regarding flying up and hitting the engines, objects moving at high speed hitting solid obstacles can ricochet and go in any direction.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Why SpaceX's Starship Explosion Is No Big Deal

Time By Jeffrey Kluger April 20, 2023

Again, just for the record, the 40-story rocket—whose upper stage is intended to serve as the lunar landing vehicle on NASA’s crewed Artemis 3 mission in the late 2020s—blew up rather than going to space. There is no prettifying that unhappy fact. But there is no arguing with one other fact too: Blowing up or crashing is what rockets do—lots of times, over and over, throughout the history of uncrewed space flight. And this inevitable part of the testing process is essential to success in space.

On Feb. 20, 1962, John Glenn became the first American to orbit the Earth, launching aboard an Atlas rocket that had previously exploded in roughly 50% of its uncrewed test flights. On March 23, 1965, Gus Grissom and John Young strapped themselves into their Gemini 3 spacecraft, becoming the first astronauts to fly atop a Titan II intercontinental ballistic missile that had failed in more than a dozen of the test launches intended to qualify it to carry humans. On Dec. 21, 1968, Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders, the Apollo 8 crew, became the first astronauts to fly the Saturn 5 moon rocket, one flight after an uncrewed Saturn 5 suffered engine failures and vibrations violent enough to nearly cause it to shake itself to pieces. But Borman, Lovell, and Anders flew anyway, becoming the first human beings to orbit the moon and returning safe and whole to Earth.

Space travel, as has been said again and again and again, is hard. And SpaceX knows that as well as anyone, following a build fast, fly fast, fail fast, and fly again R&D model that has today made it one of the world’s leading launch providers; its workhorse Falcon 9 rocket has successfully flown 217 times since 2010, including 61 launches in 2022 alone.

Falcon saw three launch failures before it became the star performer it currently is, and Starship has failed multiple times already. From 2020 to 2021, five upper stage Starship rockets were launched on short test flights—to a maximum altitude of 10 km (6.2 mi.)—four of which ended in explosions or crashes before a fifth finally succeeded, and even that one included a small fire at the base of the rocket after landing.

“That’s why we test, you know,” says Lisa Watson-Morgan, NASA’s program manager for the Artemis lunar landing system. “You learn more from a test that doesn’t go well than from one that does go well, and then you regroup and go again.

More: https://time.com/6273472/spacex-starship-explosion-no-big-deal/

Online DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.” ― Steven Wright

Trying is the first step towards failure” ― Homer Simpson
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline DB

Fox is reporting that it was engine failure. The launch video shows engine problems throughout the flight. I'm sticking with the theory that the launch pad surface coming apart caused the engine damage.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Everyday Astronaut
@Erdayastronaut
What it’s like to feel the world’s most powerful rocket, #Starship, from only 8km [5 miles] away!!! It shook our studio like crazy! Watch the door 😳 It wasn’t horribly loud, but it was thunderous & earth rattling. It. Was. Amazing! Congrats @spacex
 / @elonmusk
! Slow mo coming!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1649141793508716583

Offline DB

Everyday Astronaut
@Erdayastronaut
What it’s like to feel the world’s most powerful rocket, #Starship, from only 8km [5 miles] away!!! It shook our studio like crazy! Watch the door 😳 It wasn’t horribly loud, but it was thunderous & earth rattling. It. Was. Amazing! Congrats @spacex
 / @elonmusk
! Slow mo coming!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1649141793508716583

Wow, from 5 miles away...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Elon Musk Says Rocket Exploded Because It Insisted on Working Remotely

The New Yorker by Andy Borowitz 4/21/2023

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/elon-musk-says-rocket-exploded-because-it-insisted-on-working-remotely

One day after SpaceX’s first test flight of its Starship craft, Elon Musk claimed that the rocket exploded in midair because it insisted on working remotely.

“Starship was performing perfectly well when it was on the launchpad,” Musk said. “The trouble began when it left.”

“I urged Starship against working remotely, but it insisted,” he added. “Well, who was right?”

The SpaceX C.E.O. said that Starship’s misadventure should be a lesson to all those employees who insist on working from home.

“If you work remotely, you, too, will explode,” he warned.

Offline DB

Elon Musk Says Rocket Exploded Because It Insisted on Working Remotely

The New Yorker by Andy Borowitz 4/21/2023

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/elon-musk-says-rocket-exploded-because-it-insisted-on-working-remotely

One day after SpaceX’s first test flight of its Starship craft, Elon Musk claimed that the rocket exploded in midair because it insisted on working remotely.

“Starship was performing perfectly well when it was on the launchpad,” Musk said. “The trouble began when it left.”

“I urged Starship against working remotely, but it insisted,” he added. “Well, who was right?”

The SpaceX C.E.O. said that Starship’s misadventure should be a lesson to all those employees who insist on working from home.

“If you work remotely, you, too, will explode,” he warned.

That's a strange quote. Who's the boss?