Author Topic: The End Of Cheap Flights  (Read 154 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The End Of Cheap Flights
« on: April 20, 2023, 10:53:03 am »
The End Of Cheap Flights
APRIL 18, 2023
By Paul Homewood

Would somebody like to tell me when anybody actually voted for any of this?

Jetting off to the Mediterranean this summer? I hope you got a good deal, because cheap flights are becoming increasingly hard to find.

You probably had an inkling that the era of absurdly cheap short-haul flights in Europe was coming to an end. After all, according to travel search engine Kayak, summer flights between the UK and the continent are currently one-third more expensive than last year. But two new reports make it clear that this isn’t just temporary turbulence.

It’s the new reality for flying as airlines face a huge decarbonization challenge and tightening climate-compliance laws.

The first headwind stems from two big changes in the European Union’s Emissions Trading System (EU ETS). Airlines must have enough emissions allowances to cover every metric ton of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere on flights starting and ending in the European Economic Area, the UK and Switzerland. Right now, they get about half of those allowances for free. But that deal comes to an end in 2026, as the share of allowances they have to pay for starts to rise from 2024. That is effectively going to double their carbon costs over just three years.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/04/18/the-end-of-cheap-flights/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The End Of Cheap Flights
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 10:57:22 am »
About a 1 1/2 ago, she who must be obeyed, and I flew to NY from Michigan to visit our son and his family.  We're going again soon but the airfare has about tripled since then.  Even with the price of gas being as exorbitant as it is, it will still be cheaper to drive, cheaper by a long shot.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 12:59:29 pm »
I assume big government - in Europe and the US - is hellbent on destroying the airline industry.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 01:28:49 pm »
Before the end of regulation in 1978 airfare's were structured to keep the riff-raff out of the sky's.(/s)  45 years later only  riff-raff fly commercial.  You meet a better class of traveler on a Greyhound or Amtrak.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.