Author Topic: Solar Optimism and Coal Alarmism a Century Ago  (Read 99 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Solar Optimism and Coal Alarmism a Century Ago
« on: April 20, 2023, 10:50:22 am »
Solar Optimism and Coal Alarmism a Century Ago
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- April 19, 2023

“The supply of coal and oil, [Frank Shuman] opined, would eventually be depleted. ‘One thing I feel sure of,’ he wrote prophetically in a 1914 Scientific American article, ‘is that the human race must finally utilize direct sun power or revert to barbarism.’”

Energy history brings perspective and caution to the real-world prospects of dilute, intermittent energies becoming 21st century mainstays. The wisdom of history also checks the notion that solar (and wind) are infant industries in need of ‘temporary’ government subsidies. [1]

I recently encountered a history piece about an early solar entrepreneur, Frank Shuman, written by Christopher Dougherty nine years ago for a Philadelphia magazine. Excerpts from Frank Shuman: Finding The Future In Tacony, A Century Ago follow.

https://www.masterresource.org/solar-power-history/solar-optimism-coal-alarmism-century-ago/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson