Author Topic: New Research Sparks Concerns That Ocean Circulation Will Collapse  (Read 336 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Research Sparks Concerns That Ocean Circulation Will Collapse
Scientists have long feared that warming could cause a breakdown of ocean circulation in the North Atlantic. But new research finds the real risk lies in Antarctica’s waters, where melting could disrupt currents in the next few decades, with profound impacts on global climate.

BY FRED PEARCE • APRIL 18, 2023

It is being hailed as a sea change in scientific understanding of the global ocean circulation system and how it will respond as the world heats up. A doomsday scenario involving the collapse of the circulation — previously portrayed in both peer-reviewed research and the climate disaster movie The Day After Tomorrow — came a lot closer in the last month. But rather than playing out in the far North Atlantic, as previously assumed, it now seems much more likely at the opposite end of the planet.

A new analysis by Australian and American researchers, using new and more detailed modeling of the oceans, predicts that the long-feared turn-off of the circulation will likely occur in the Southern Ocean, as billions of tons of ice melt on the land mass of Antarctica. And rather than being more than a century away, as models predict for the North Atlantic, it could happen within the next three decades.

Leading ocean and climate researchers not involved in the study who were contacted for comment praised the findings. “This is a really important paper,” says Stefan Rahmstorf, an oceanographer and head of earth system analysis at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany. “I think the method and model are convincing.”

https://e360.yale.edu/features/climate-change-ocean-circulation-collapse-antarctica
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: New Research Sparks Concerns That Ocean Circulation Will Collapse
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 11:18:17 am »

A new analysis by Australian and American researchers, using new and more detailed modeling of the oceans, predicts that the long-feared turn-off of the circulation will likely occur in the Southern Ocean, as billions of tons of ice melt on the land mass of Antarctica. And rather than being more than a century away, as models predict for the North Atlantic, it could happen within the next three decades.

If your global warming fear mongering destination isn't working, just pick up your "facts," innuendos, horrible for humanity weather, and take them somewhere else and threaten from there. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 02:41:54 pm »
Scientists have long feared that warming could cause a breakdown of ocean circulation in the North Atlantic. But new research finds the real risk lies in Antarctica’s waters, where melting could disrupt currents in the next few decades, with profound impacts on global climate.

So another what if this happened bullshit study, since last I heard the Antarctic ice is growing not melting. Someone must have been feeling the need to attention whore so came up with yet another WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE event to put on the calendar.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 03:00:13 pm »
 ////00000////

Want to end "Global Warming"?  Nuke some active volcanoes to recreate the volcanic winter of 536 A.D.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 10:01:39 am »
Geeez. The oceans must have gone completely stagnant at the end of the Younger Dryas.  *****rollingeyes*****

They're missing the boat, really.

In a mere 7.5 billion years the sun is expected to expand out to incinerate the Earth! (absorb, actually, but incinerate is so much more dramatic).

Can we panic now, or do we have to wait a few billion years?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 10:03:11 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis