Author Topic: NASA satellite is HOURS away from hitting Earth -1 in 2,500 chance of killing someone  (Read 759 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Mail UK By Stacy Liberatore Deputy Science And Technology Editor For Dailymail.Com

Dead NASA satellite the size of a shipping container is just HOURS away from hitting Earth and has a one in 2,500 chance of killing someone — these are the potential impact zones

•  New updates about NASA's dead craft show it will re-enter Earth at 9:30pm ET

•  The projected impact zone is anywhere in South America, Africa or Asia

A dead NASA spacecraft with a one in 2,500 chance of killing someone is just one hour away from crashing into Earth - and astronomers have drawn up a map of potential impact zones.

The 600-pound craft - about the size of a shipping container - is set to re-enter the atmosphere at 9:30pm ET after it was retired by the space agency in 2018 due to communication failure.

NASA said Tuesday that the reentry location is not being disclosed, given lingering uncertainty over when and where it might go down.

But Aerospace, a national security space program, shows debris that survives the hellish return could fall anywhere in South America, Africa or Asia.

There is a 75 percent chance of debris crashing into the ocean, but NASA has still admitted a 'low' risk of it impacting land.

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11991769/Here-potential-impact-zones-NASAs-dead-spacecraft-heading-Earth.html

Offline libertybele

Let's hope it crashes into the ocean.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.denver7.com/660-pound-nasa-satellite-to-crash-into-earth-wednesday-night

660-pound NASA satellite RHESSI to crash into Earth Wednesday night

RHESSI has been in orbit since 2002 but was retired in 2018 after its communications failed.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
 :pondering: Better odds than Lotto

Offline Kamaji

Did it come down yet?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The Department of Defense forecasts that RHESSI will reenter Earth’s atmosphere around 9:30 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday, plus or minus 16 hours.

Plus or minus 16 hours?  These guy really can call'em.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GrouchoTex

The Department of Defense forecasts that RHESSI will reenter Earth’s atmosphere around 9:30 p.m. Eastern time on Wednesday, plus or minus 16 hours.

Plus or minus 16 hours?  These guy really can call'em.

Maybe they were once weathermen?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Where did the NASA satellite land today?
"The Department of Defense confirmed that the 660-pound spacecraft re-entered the atmosphere over the Sahara Desert region, at approximately 26 degrees longitude and 21.3 degrees latitude," NASA officials wrote in an update today (opens in new tab) (April 20).
https://www.space.com/dead-nasa-satellite-rhessi-crashes-to-earth

Offline corbe

When I canceled my Home Insurance yesterday she asked me about my concern of Fires trying to sell me a cheaper policy, I should have asked her about 'falling satellite' coverage, I guess.

Recovering The Satellites · Counting Crows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itethUbp4LA

YET, I burned a tremendous amount of my burn pile this afternoon in my small backyard, my neighbors weren't there, especially the retired Brooklyn Fire Dept guy. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.